Affected by Sandy, but unable to get a cancel for full refund/credit from carnival

ak51

But if the cruise was half empty and a large group of people wants to book 2 days before sailing, you bet the cruise line will somehow magically manage the "administration nightmare" to take advantage of all that last minute booking!

It's only when it's the passengers who has to be "understanding" of the difficulty of the cruise lines and should not ask for anything!

When is the last time you have seen a cruise company not go out pretty damn full...and they didn't sell all those cabins in the final few days.

The point is that "if" the cruise line just accepted reservations without money upfront and agreed to buy back tickets for "whatever" reason they would be in the absolute same economic problems as many carriers in the airline industry who over-booked planes because of no-shows. Business is run by "people" and many of these "peeps" have hearts of gold but you just have to be calloused or eventually all the "good deeds" will catch up to you and the business will just disappear or become way to expensive for the little man to use at all. I just don't feel that it is a difficult concept to understand.

First of all, I am extremely sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances. I know the effects of Sandy has been devastating to millions of people.

I don't really have any advice for you, but I strongly urge travel insurance next time. We always buy travel insurance for any 'big' vacation and even 'upgrade' the travel insurance to fit the needs of our family at the time. Over the past 6 years (summers), we have had to use the travel insurance 3 times due to unforeseen reasons...we have had 100% of our expenses reimbursed except for the travel insurance fees. We booked a cruise for next summer, and opted to purchase the "cancel for any reason" travel insurance because of various reasons. It is definitely worth it for our family and I just add it to the cost of the trip.

Good luck to you in dealing with Carnival, and in everything you need to do concerning the effects of Sandy.

When is the last time you have seen a cruise company not go out pretty damn full...and they didn't sell all those cabins in the final few days.

When? Off season!

The point is that "if" the cruise line just accepted reservations without money upfront and agreed to buy back tickets for "whatever" reason they would be in the absolute same economic problems as many carriers in the airline industry who over-booked planes because of no-shows.

But that's NOT what you posted earlier. There's nothing to do with buying back tickets. It's a TRANSFER between different passengers! Not a transfer back to the cruise company. But you seem to think a tranfer would cost the cruise company so much in "administration" cost they shouldn't even think about allowing that!!

Business is run by "people" and many of these "peeps" have hearts of gold.

I wish that's true. But unfortunately, too many business are run by people like you who will not lift a finger to do anything extra for the customer. And those business are wondering why their customers have absolutely zero loyalty and will go to their compatitors for $1 discount!

"I just don't feel that it is a difficult concept to understand":rolleyes:

I wish that's true. But unfortunately, too many business are run by people like you who will not lift a finger to do anything extra for the customer. And those business are wondering why their customers have absolutely zero loyalty and will go to their compatitors for $1 discount!

:

The way I see it is that there is no loyalty up or down. From the consumer or from business.

Examples:

A couple of years back American Airlines removed seats from their planes to provide more leg room. Consumers didn't care. They purchased flights based on $$ alone. AA had to put the seats back into the airplanes.

Big Box Stores

They buy in bulk, they have a good distribution system, the price goes down. The consumers flock to the store. Who lost? The mom and pop store who provided personal service and generous return policies

The company I work for

I'm in the customer service industry repairing equipment. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much I go above and beyond, it doesn't matter how well I maintain the equipment, it doesn't matter how often I make those little repairs that are outside the scope of the contract without chargeing them extra,,,,,, when it comes to renewing the contract,,, the people making that decision are basing that decision on $$ alone. Nothing more, nothing less.

Having a heart and having compassion has no place in the business world these days. Most consumers vote with their wallet, not with brand/product/service loyalty.

I booked threw my TA and I got Cancel for any reason insureance for $47 dollars for all 3 of us cruising I see no reason to risk being out all that money for the cost of 5 drinks on board.

Interesting since the difference between regualr and "cancel for any reason" insurance was over $100 for 2 of us for a night cruise plus airfare. Because that was about 10% of the total cost, I bought regular insurance. Now, since we most likely can not go due to the hurricane, we will lose it all, but that was my choice and given the additional cost, I still think it was generally the correct choice.

Note our insurance would pay if my daughter's townhouse were deemed uninhabitable by the township, but being I am sure that without power (and heat) would not be considered unihabitable.

A little storm named Katrina hit us hard and we were scheduled to go on a Mediterranean cruise two weeks later. We HAD travel insurance and that's when I read the fine print and discovered we were only covered if our home were uninhabitable. We had $40,000 damage but we could live in it...no power, no water and all. Utilities were restored, temporary repairs made and we made the trip. It was a great trip and a nice break between the stress of the storm and the work needed to clean up and repair.

Thank you so much for your words of inspiration. We were hit hard by Sandy, losing most of the contents on our firtst floor, the home is still habitable but it's hard to imagine (after over a week of depression and dispair) that I might actually be going on a cruise next Friday. We have made temporary repairs, just waiting for the utilities to come back on so I can safely leave my cats. It's been over a week and no power at all, and we are still living there. :(

Thank you so much for your words of inspiration. We were hit hard by Sandy, losing most of the contents on our firtst floor, the home is still habitable but it's hard to imagine (after over a week of depression and dispair) that I might actually be going on a cruise next Friday. We have made temporary repairs, just waiting for the utilities to come back on so I can safely leave my cats. It's been over a week and no power at all, and we are still living there. :(

After Ike we didn't have power for almost 3 weeks. We didn't have the problem of no heat, we had a HEAT problem with the temps being in the 90's with massive mosquitoes. I understand your pain :(

I think insurance does cover weather related problems.

Living in Florida, the chance of hurricane is something we live with

In the long run Carnival can't make too many exceptions here cause storms, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados happen

with the way the weather is going who knows??

but I saw something on Facebook...>>JH said you could send your homeowner insurance claim or something to carnival and have them give u a future cruise credit. I think a future credit is probably what they will do,

hopefully they can sell those cabins so the company itself does not take a loss

just curious..anyone know what Royal, NCL< etc are doing??

Well one thing that Carnival could do if they wanted to help people in situations where events made it difficult or impossible to cruise would be to simply allow the tickets to be transferrable. What do they care? Other than Homeland Security concerns at the last minute, they shouldn't have an issue with who cruises with them.

It seems to me that the OP should have the option to sell her tickets if he/she can't use them.

For example, if I buy a car and the next day for some reason I am unable to drive, I can sell the car. Most likely I'll lose money, but not all of it.

It strikes me that Carnival sold a product. They got their money. Now the product should be provided. If not to the original purchaser, someone else.

There are usually ways to transfer /sell a fare unless you bought into the Early Saver deal. I personally don't suggest that unless people are very "stable" and know they will be able to cruise

I do have friends who were on Imagination during Wilma....they got 4 extra (free) days on board....we all were without electricity from Keys to Palm Beach...and no gas cause back then we didn't have (mandated) generators for gas stations like we now have

When Imagination came back to Miami, those who *still had cars at port some got off...the radio station played a deal "$99 for 3 days IF you can make it to the port"...and a bunch more took advantage of that

My friends stayed on board the ship for $99 each....staying a total of 10 days on Imagination LOL

meanwhile we were sweltering, no air, no lights, standing in line for fema mre's and ice LOL

all in all...IF you can possibly put things on hold why not take a break and take your cruise? Cut back on expenses on board and on the islands..just have DOD and enjoy? Hope it works out for you

(and again JH says you can send homeowners claim and (possilbe) get a future credit?)

From John Heald's Facebook Page:

"I felt that having read a few comments by those poor people who have lost homes thanks to Hurricane Sandy and are saying they can’t get a refund or need a refund of their cruise. It is important there that they have filed an insurance claim with their home owners. It should be sent to guestadmin@carnival.com and it will be reviewed if approved they will receive a future cruise credit. I continue to think of all those who were affected by the storm."

It looks like Carnival is at least attempting to compensate those affected by the storm in some way. Perhaps this will help you a little. Good Luck.

You're welcome and I think I know how you're feeling but 7-8 more days can make a lot of difference. After about of week without power, you start feeling like it will never come on again. I felt like leaving when my parents still didn't have power was selfish of us but they encouraged us to go. Don't feel guilty about going on your cruise because every one of you deserves it after a storm like that and living without the simplest things like power, that we so often take for granted.

We're cruising on the 18th also and if we were on the same ship, I'd buy your first cocktail. Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Cactuscruise - very simply - those of us who pay auto insurance and health insurance premiums "subsidize" those who don't through higher premiums, etc. For example, someone who doesn't have insurance goes to the emergency room for the flu, etc., - and he/she can't pay - that is passed on to everyone else who can pay and is passed on to the insurance companies through higher invoices. Same with auto insurance. When one motorist doesn't have insurance and can't afford to reimburse the other driver's insurance company, the insurance can't subrogate and recover its losses. All premiums go up, etc.

Same with cruising. Let's say one cruiser pays for insurance but doesn't need it. Another gambles and uses his money elsewhere. Then has to cancel. He then whines to the cruiseline for a refund even though he took a risk. The cruiseline relents and gives him a partial refund, etc. That is a cost to the cruise line that, inevitably, the cruise line passes on. Simple math.

Great explanation. Thanks

how did you pay for your trip? sometimes if you have paid with your credit card, there could be insurance there. I have it with my Visa, so I don't get travel insurance as it also gives me medical. Look at your fine print, and good luck

Credit cards do NOT cover cancelling a cruise. No way. If that was the case everyone without trip insurance would just "chargeback" their cruise. No way would that work

Credit cards do NOT cover cancelling a cruise. No way. If that was the case everyone without trip insurance would just "chargeback" their cruise. No way would that work

Totally irrelevent!

Charge back is for product/service that did not match advertisement.

Insurance is to cover loses due to other factor.

Just wanted to thank you all from the bottom of my heart, for all your suggestions, kind words and inspirational thoughts, truly.

Have emailed guest admin (twice), will let you all know if I get a favorable response.

Actually rocker is referring to the Trip Interruption/cancellation and luggage delay/damage/loss Benefits that several credit cards provide free if the travel is booked with that card, such as provided by World MasterCard, and others. But the OP's reasons for cancelling don't fall under the limited cancellation reasons under these cards. ken

[quote name='CanWeGoYet?']I'm sure it could be done, with the cruise line taking out insurance for each cabin & adding that cost on to the fare of everyone who books.

But I don't see that Carnival would have any incentive to do so. The cost of the cruise fare is not the issue, it's all the $ they will get from you while you are on board. Unless it's a luxury cruise where little is charged extra for, the cruise line doesn't turn profit (or at least much profit) from the cruise fare. It's all the extras you add to your on board account.

That said, I wish there weren't such a tendency here to give labels like entitled, nanny state, etc. It's a shame people can't talk or express different ideas without the put downs.[/quote]
finally someone underdstands! exactly..insure themselves against no shows..that is all I am saying...and of course I realize the money is made not on the cabin, but the extras....but at least the pax gets something back and the cruiseline has just earned that very important intangible asset...GOODWILL!

Goodwill is worth a fortune to a cruiseline.

[quote name='luvtheships']finally someone underdstands! exactly..insure themselves against no shows..that is all I am saying...and of course I realize the money is made not on the cabin, but the extras....but at least the pax gets something back and the cruiseline has just earned that very important intangible asset...GOODWILL!

Goodwill is worth a fortune to a cruiseline.[/quote]

You do realize if a cruise line were to purchase this type of insurance, the cost of it would raise the fares? Doesn't make sense.

[quote name='Stilles']I booked threw my TA and I got Cancel for any reason insureance for $47 dollars for all 3 of us cruising I see no reason to risk being out all that money for the cost of 5 drinks on board.[/QUOTE]

We just returned from a cruise on the Liberty. My parents were supposed to go too, but with the stress of not having power, worrying about their house at the NJ shore that might or might not be inhabitable again after the storm, etc., it was too much stress for them to go.

Fortunately, they purchased cancel for any reason coverage thru Travel Insured (which is the highest coverage you can get, and more than we got for ourselves). It wasn't that much more $, but even that only gives them back 75% of the total outlay, and they had to cancel at least 48 hrs prior to sailing. Plus due to the storm, the airline is kindly offering full credits for cancelled flights with no penalty, but this means they can't get back 75% of that cost. So even with the insurance, they're out 25% of the cruise price and they now have Delta credits that they may never use, since they only really travel when we bring them along with us.

[quote name='papayagirl']We just returned from a cruise on the Liberty. My parents were supposed to go too, but with the stress of not having power, worrying about their house at the NJ shore that might or might not be inhabitable again after the storm, etc., it was too much stress for them to go.

Fortunately, they purchased cancel for any reason coverage thru Travel Insured (which is the highest coverage you can get, and more than we got for ourselves). It wasn't that much more $, but even that only gives them back 75% of the total outlay, and they had to cancel at least 48 hrs prior to sailing. Plus due to the storm, the airline is kindly offering full credits for cancelled flights with no penalty, but this means they can't get back 75% of that cost. So even with the insurance, they're out 25% of the cruise price and they now have Delta credits that they may never use, since they only really travel when we bring them along with us.[/quote]
Are you saying you'll never cruise again so they won't be able to use the air credits?

Well, no. But we have two kids in elementary school, and we usually only do one big vacation that may require air travel per year. This was our first cruise, and next year will likely be something else (maybe DisneyLand, etc.)

As much as it makes me happy to be able to bring my parents along with us, it definitely makes planning and covering a lot of ground with kids in a week a lot harder. And I believe the credits they were issued are only good for a year. So if we go somewhere the same week next year (when The NJ teachers' convention traditionally takes place and the kids are off from school), their credits may be expired. I need to make some calls and figure things out for them once we're unpacked and I submit their insurance claim.

Archived