Wifi/Internet coverage

I will be cruising on the Thomson dream in January leaving my 2 girls behind for the first time. I'd really like to stay in contact with them via FaceTime or Skype so that I can see them.

Does anyone know how likely this is and how much it would cost? Thank you

I've yet to sail with Thomson, so I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong... though I did look into this previously.

From what I can gather WiFi is generally only available in certain areas (near the internet cafe) and is generally very slow as it's provided via satellite (so not sure if will be fast enough for Facetime etc).

According to another site the prices are as follows....

£4 for 15 mins

£13 for 60 mins

£16 for 100 mins

Yep....its exceedingly slooow, the best signal is at the back of the lido (where the wake is)....for some reason?

better to use the free wifi available in some of the ports... afew bars, coffee shops and close to airports on a few caribbean islands

We used the internet cafe on the Dream last November and watched a friends wedding live on line in Las Vegas. It worked pretty well:) and only froze a couple of times, my wife went back next day to use up our remaining minutes on Facebook and it was really slow:(

Thank you everyone. It's the first time I'm leaving them for so long and really hope I get to see them somehow as well as hear them. Will they be able to ring our cabin from the uk or us ring them?

I know that is probably a really silly question I'm sure we will be able too :0)

I will be cruising on the Thomson dream in January leaving my 2 girls behind for the first time. I'd really like to stay in contact with them via FaceTime or Skype so that I can see them.

Does anyone know how likely this is and how much it would cost? Thank you

Starbuxxx was free in the port area of Kusadasi, Turkey. No need to ask for a password either. Polite to buy a coffee though. I think all their cafes offer free wi fi but best to check first.

However be warned ...... I was "done" at a kiosk just 50 yards away from Starxxxxxx and still within the port area when the Turkish kiosk keeper offered me his password to use on my iPad. I thought this was very kind so i bought a can of lager and an ice-cream in return. The wifi signal was very poor and I eventually gave up and went to pay for the lager and ice cream. He charged me €24 :eek:and when I questioned this, two 'heavies' came on either side of me. DH dragged me away and we made a quick exit. :eek:

I got free wifi in a Piraeus cafe, some cafes in Katakolon were also offering it and there was free wifi in Thomas Bay Hotel, Corfu and in numerous tavernas in the resort. :)

In future I will do a search for wifi cafes before I leave home and make sure I know exactly whereabouts they are situated.

Archived