Boarding Solstice in Dubai

u2cruiser

I have searched these boards and the internet; posted on my roll call, searched the ports section and have come up with no definitive answer, so I'll ask you guys. :)

Has anyone sailed from Dubai? We're sailing Solstice, Dubai to Singapore on Sunday.

Can you take wine into Dubai? I would like to take our 2 bottle allowance onboard, but how, I'm not quite sure. I'm not sure that you can buy it there for personal consumption. :confused:

We intended buying it airside at our UK departure airport, but can we take it into Dubai? I have found conflicting answers on the internet. I would rather not take any than be worried. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

I believe that you can take 4 litres of alcohol each into Dubai and can actually buy it in Dubai airport - so 2 bottles are no problem

Thank you alan.

I actually saw that on the Dubai airport website: arrivals duty free shops, and it shows the allowance for each country, then I saw someone on a forum saying you need a liquor licence :confused:

I sailed from Dubai and took alcohol from Manchester airport with me - no problem. Didn't look at the Dubai airport duty free in arrivals as we were too tired.

Thank you very much nijh. That's exactly the answer I was looking for and we are also flying from Manchester.

:)

There is a fantastic duty free shop in Dubai airport after you have cleared their customs that you can buy a great selection of beer and wine for your onward travel as you aren't able to find it anywhere else in Dubai! We did this a few years ago (afeter flying from LHR) before boarding Brilliance of the Seas and were so glad that we did as we underestimated the ability to actually buy drink in the UAE - i.e there were no shops at all selling alcohol which we thought may be the case but were hoping that we may have been proved wrong so either buy it in the UK or if you don't want to carry it with you, make sure you stop buy the duty free shop enroute to pick up your luggage.

There are tons of bars in Dubai. And also liquor stores-but you have to work to find them. To purchase at a liquor store there you do need a liquor license, which is available only to residents and not to tourists. Technically speaking you need a liquor license buy or consume any alcohol in Dubai but it's largely ignored.

So I'd purchase wine at the duty free in Dubai. Extensive selection.

Thanks everyone. I knew I could rely on CC to come up with the answers that I've been searching for.

ORDMan, so that's where the liquor licence comes into play?! Thanks for clearing that up.

Now I have 2 options for taking wine for the cruise so I'm glad I asked :D

Archived