What to buy in Belize

Imasealuvr

Hola,

My prize from our last visit was a gorgeous hand carved wooden Tucan, but I'm a nut when it comes to wood carvings. Several people took home bottles of Belican beer, the official beer of Belize. If you choose to buy latino style clothing, though, be sure to read the labels. Most of the ones that I looked at were made in CHINA. It seems that even third world countries are importing their clothes from China now.:D

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

To the OP and excitedcruiser, the wood products are lovely! I brought a chair (yes the kind you sit on!) back from my last cruise. A picture of it is on this website http://www.medinasfurniture.com/hardwood.html.

The first chair on the page is the one I have.

Note that I did not buy from this company directly. There are two lovely art galleries, one right next to the port which showcases Belizian artists and the other a little walk away that carries all the wood products and some foodstuffs.

I found both of these galleries in one of the travel guides about Belize.

Enjoy

Love the chair, too. Did you have any trouble with security bringing in back onbaord? Now for sure DH and I will be driving down to Port Canaveral from Pa. I will be coming back with a load of goodies and will never make it back on a plane!!!!!!

I bought a beautiful handcarved cane made of Ziricote wood for $20! Where I live, if I bought a handcarved cane, it would cost at least 3-5 times that amount! I am so proud of it!

And my hubby loved the Belikan beer. Said it was slightly sweet with no aftertaste. (I'm not a beer drinker.)

June

Imasealuvr,

I did not have a problem with either the tenders (the crew didn't blink) or the security people on board ship. In fact, they were highly amused, so amused they pointed me out to other crew members who wanted to know where I brought it! :p

When I asked the airline for oversized luggage costs to bring the chair back, the price was just as much as the chair :eek:, so I would recommend driving if you are planning to by something like this. I ended up leaving the chair with friends in FL until we came back down for our next cruise ;)

The carvings did look good - and outside of the tourism village (JUST outside, across the street and in the back parking lot) the stands will haggle on price. The beer was great - Belikan or their light beer, Lighthouse. We even bought Lighthouse beer glasses at a shop in the Tourism village for $1 each. Tried the Cashew wine at the liquor store there (they have a table to sample several things) - it is a bit sweet for our tastes. Did buy Frangelico liquer there for $16, some cheap necklaces, and a Mayan carving that the guy said he carved himself! (HA!) Also bought some hot sauce - the small bottles are $1 and the larger $2 each - Marie (something) and many varieties.

Torbiemart,

I think we had best drive. We will be coming down from Pa., DH loves to drive anyway. And with all of these ideas from everyone, it looks like this may be a very good shopping day. I will need the space of our own car! LOL

We just got back from the NCL Sea last Saturday. At the tourist compound in Belize are two pharmacies. On this board someone else mentioned that the pharmacist was from the US and worked at a WalMart. I stopped at the first one and asked for a web address of the pharmacy and was given a card with a email address and phone number on it. I asked about the lady from Walmart and was told she worked in the other pharmacy in terminal 2 building. So I went there and it was obvious who she was behind the counter so I talked to her a little bit. Real friendly. I asked if she had a web address and she gave me the same 3 x 5 card with the same information. She said just email your drug needs and she will quote you a price and you can decide what you want to do. My wife bought several skin creams that are prescription in the states. The price was reasonable too. Do a search on this board for author "superflyjeff". That should bring up some more information.

DH and I will be on Glory 9/10/05. What would be some good buying suggestions? ( Heard of cashew wine..how is it? )

Just returned on Sunday - - there's a national craft center very near the dock. Beautiful handmade baskets and wooden bowls (MOST NOT RAINFOREST WOOD).

The baskets with lids have the handwritten name of the women who made the basket and told what the money is used for!

• 1 month later...

Archived