Millie Rome on Your own

I am thinking of just taking the Rome on you own tour. How long was the tripinto the city? Where did it drop you off ? Would I be able to make it to the Vatican by 10:30? Thanks, Michele

Michelle,

The trip took about 1 hour 15 min and we were dropped off in an underground car park righ by the Vatican. I would imagine that you would make 10.30, but in Italy, nothing is certain. The traffic can be very unpredictable. The twice we have driven there, once was a smooth quick ride, the other a nightmare.

Andy

I second envy4u. We just did this, and were in Vatican Square by 9:30 a.m. (we arrived in port at 7 a.m.). Very easy, not at all a hassle. No problem making it back to the ship by 3 or 4 pm. We managed to see Pope Benedict XIV drive through the square (my parents stayed for the audience, we didn't), left there, went to Trevi Fountain, and the the Colosseum, had lunch, and went back to Vatican Square to pick up my parents and head to the train station. We missed going into St. Peter's because the kids were getting tired. We'll just have to go back again since it was so easy.

Luron & envy,

I am sailing on the Galaxy June 24th - how difficult do you think it would be to use the train as transportation from Rome to Civitavecchia? I'm traveling with a friend. We would need to take a taxi from the airport to the train station and once in Civitavecchia, from the train station to the ship. All this with luggage. Do you think it's worthwhile or should we just bite the bullet and hire a car? I'd like to economize where we can, to be able to splurge once in awhile! How much is the roundtrip train fare?

Thanks!

Archived