Worried about United Airlines

starr52

Delta is fine for now. Most likely they will have to file for Chap 11 protection and possibly as soon as the third quarter. Under Chap 11 they would continue operating albeit probably reduced schedules. They have tremendous debt and the future is anyone's guess. Delta is exploring the possible sale of two subsidiary airlines they own. Comair and Atlantic Southeast that they use for feeder service. For now bookings with Delta are safe and I expect they will be for a couple of years. Nobody is talking about liquidation of Delta. Hope that puts your mind at rest.

Star52,

Relax. I flew to Europe last year on United. The only problem I had was the information clerk at LAX who knew a whole lot less than the information clerk at the Franfurt Airport. (The information clerk at Frankfurt couldn't speak english). Anyway I have a flight to Anchorage on United this coming July. Theres only 3 seats left on a 757. It sounds like to me someone is filling up the planes. I fly Deta this coming Saturday. I don't think you will see any financial problems for another six months. Enjoy you trip. Tim

Vivian. Yes the planes are filling, however at the fares of today, each seat sold is a bigger loss. It's one thing to fill the planes; it's quite another to make money. No company can continue operating if most sales are loss leaders.

There is a very real possibility that United could be shut down by a strike. See, the employees aren't pleased about the pension plan be junked.

However, it remains to be seen when and if it will happen.If it does, it will be after June 3.

Archived