Currency conversion?

doctoranna

Heading out to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel in December. Just got an e-mail from NCL telling me to convert currency ahead of time before we leave. Is there really any need to convert currency for any of these ports? We are going cave tubing in Belize with cave-tubing.com, will probably take taxi to local sites in Cozumel and Costa Maya, haven't decided what to do in roatan yet. Will we need cash in local currency?

We have been on this same itinerary many times & have never converted any US money to another currency - ever.

People in these ports LOVE US green backs.

You should be aware on the local conversion rate in each port that you visit so you do not over pay. This info is available on your ship, probably at the "port talk".

Don't convert anything & have a super cruise.

Heading out to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel in December. Just got an e-mail from NCL telling me to convert currency ahead of time before we leave. Is there really any need to convert currency for any of these ports? We are going cave tubing in Belize with cave-tubing.com, will probably take taxi to local sites in Cozumel and Costa Maya, haven't decided what to do in roatan yet. Will we need cash in local currency?

No need to convert cash. Cave tubing & cabbies will take US $.We just got back a wk ago & the only issue my sister possibly had (I need to ck with her since we got back) was using a debit card (not something I would have done) & she thought they may have charged her $300 for a $20-$30 item. They told her the receipt was in pesos or whatever their cash is but when she checked her account it was way low so she needed to verify this. I haven't checked with her to see if this actually was the case or not but I would make sure to use all small american bills so you don't need to worry about getting change & getting ripped off.

my sister possibly had (I need to ck with her since we got back) was using a debit card (not something I would have done) & she thought they may have charged her $300 for a $20-$30 item. They told her the receipt was in pesos or whatever their cash is but when she checked her account it was way low so she needed to verify this.

Good news - they charged her the correct amount but I would still be very cautious.

What e mail from NCL contains this info??? I've got my NCL documents for this same cruise and can't find anything about this???

We have been on this same itinerary many times & have never converted any US money to another currency - ever.

People in these ports LOVE US green backs.

Well, in any touristy place the business owners will accept the currency of their customers. So, yes, you should be able to use USDs in these areas.

In addition, in Belize USD is commonly used along with the local currency, which is pegged to USD 2:1. So sometimes you get a mixture of change in the local and US currencies.

(Personally, it makes me feel too overbearing to use USD instead of local currency. It is as if I do not even bother to make an effort).

Archived