Rugs in Casablanca?

larry3706

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, Casablanca really isn't the greatest place if you are looking for rugs. We have a good friend who works in an upscale carpet store; if you'd like the store name I can ask my husband for it. However, don't expect any amazing finds if you do go to that store--it's not a "haggle over the price" type place as you'd find in a souq. They do, however, have beautiful rugs from all over the world, not just Morocco.

You could try Derb Sultan, Souq Shammal--this is a popular shopping district, but I don't think rugs are a big sell there. Also, try Gallerie Ben Omar near the downtown, and Twin Center. Again, though, you likely won't find great buys at these places, if indeed you find carpets at all, though most Moroccan homes own at least one good-sized rug and so you may be luckier than I am projecting here.

The Hibbous Quarter in the Old Medina has lots of shops, but is very touristy and so you won't find good deals.

My husband is from Casablanca, and I stayed there for two months, so if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Nicole

How do you get the rugs back to the USA?

We were in Tangier, Morocco, about 10 years ago. We bought a rug that's about 4' by 6' and were able to put it in an inexpensive, soft luggage bag that we also bought in Tangier. We checked it on our airplane. We were on a land tour, not a cruise, so that could make a difference. Plus, luggage restrictions are more strict now.

Ivan

It depends. Some rugs are quite expensive, at prices from $500-$1000 plus. The weavers of rugs know their craft (or should I say, those who profit from them), and price accordingly. Shipping can be quite pricey. Some shops may be able to arrange shipping for you. Another option would be to take the rug on the airplane home with you, but be prepared to pay fees for that (though maybe not as much as the shipping).

We've never shipped a rug back to the States, so I couldn't tell you exact prices.

Archived