better to book online or use ta

I've booked both ways....everyone is different...it boils down to you get what you pay for and the amount of risk you're willing to take....save money by doing it yourself online, but when a problem arises you have no one to go to...I'd rather pay the extra 50 or 100$$ per person and know that I have an agent to deal with any problems that may arise....

actually when you book on line its normally with a on-line TA...only when you book direct is it without one. It depends on the level of service you need or desire. Personally I do most of my own research and I am looking for a TA for price-on line or for real.....

:confused: Just wondering is it better(cheaper) to book online or use a travel agent. Not asking for any one specific so I hope i'm not breaking any rules here. This is our first cruise and I just wanna know the best way to go, and is booking online dependable?

We've booked twice with a mega online agency, once with another large online agency, once with a nationwide travel/tour agency, and once with a small, hometown travel agency.

The worst by far was the local agency, they were not much up on cruising or NCL. I guess the best was the large travel agency, who booked us into an existing group tour/cruise around Hawaii on the NCL Star. They had a rep in Oahu, someone to meet us at the airport, a tour bus, etc. and everyting went smoothly. It was also a decent price, and included three nights in Honolulu. Our experience with the two online TA's has also been very good, as our agents have always been very responsive, and always willing to help. My current agent works until 7 pm in the office, but repsonds to me promptly from her home at night. I've gotten a couple of emails sent in the wee hours of the morning. I congratulated her one time when she did not get right back to me on a Friday night, as I correctly assumed she was out for the evening. The only problem I've has with that agency is turnover, as we've had three different agents, all very nice and helpful, but I'd really like some stability.

There's little or no risk associated booking with the cruise line. We too sailed the Star in Hawaii a year and a half ago. I did some research and booked an outside cabin with NCL directly for $758.50 pp including taxes and port charges. Went to Priceline and booked three nights at the Sheraton Waikiki for $79 a night plus taxes. When we got there, I asked and received an upgrade to an oceanview room. Sixty days before sailing, I called NCL and they offered me an upsell to a Penthouse Suite aft for a total of $300 more (not apiece). I read on this chat board about a special deal with Hertz for convertibles for $35 a day. I rented them in three ports including Honolulu when we got back. We threw the luggage in the trunk and headed out to the big outdoor swap meet at the football stadium, had a nice dinner and caught our flight back to the States at 10:00.

A TA isn't going to do this for you - you have to. Some might consider all we saved not worth the effort. I'll tell you a secret - the planning and research is half the fun of cruising.

Peter

Archived