Anyone travel with Bydureon?

deborahjo

I will be sailing on the Splendor in December. I have started taking Bydureon shots once a week. We will be flying in the day before. My problem I am trying to figure ways of keeping it cold from the time I leave home to the hotel to the port the next day.

Any help I would love.

I am on an insulin pump. I travel with my insulin with a lunch cooler and gel.ice packs which are allowed to fly as a carry on. I always make sure I can get a refridge at the hotel I am staying at. I call prior to arrival to make sure it is on my reservation. Be careful of putting your med in the cabin fridge as many times they do not have a thermostat and I have had insulin frozen. I take my extra insulin to the medical center where they are happy to store it for me in their properly controlled fridge.

I am on an insulin pump. I travel with my insulin with a lunch cooler and gel.ice packs which are allowed to fly as a carry on. I always make sure I can get a refridge at the hotel I am staying at. I call prior to arrival to make sure it is on my reservation. Be careful of putting your med in the cabin fridge as many times they do not have a thermostat and I have had insulin frozen. I take my extra insulin to the medical center where they are happy to store it for me in their properly controlled fridge.

Thank you for you reply. It seems like so much to make sure it stays cold enough. I wondered how trustful the medical section on the ship would be.

I use a Frio Cooling Case. They come in different sizes, and will keep your medicine cold but not frozen. It has gel pebbles in it and you soak it for ten minutes till the gel swells up. Then you towel off the excess water, and it is good for three days. If you need it longer you just recharge the case and you are good for more time. It works great and will fit into your purse.

M

Thank you for you reply. It seems like so much to make sure it stays cold enough. I wondered how trustful the medical section on the ship would be.

In my experience, very. They are all professionals. I have crusied on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean without issues of them holding my extra insulin.

I use a Frio Cooling Case. They come in different sizes, and will keep your medicine cold but not frozen. It has gel pebbles in it and you soak it for ten minutes till the gel swells up. Then you towel off the excess water, and it is good for three days. If you need it longer you just recharge the case and you are good for more time. It works great and will fit into your purse.

M

These are good, but definitely doesn't keep the medicine refrigerator cold, just cool. I use the Frio pack for taking my open insulin ashore during port days.

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP

I've used one for >24 hours when travelling to a cruise, and have found that it keeps it plenty cool. For that matter, the cabin's coolers, at least on most ships, are not refrigerators, either. I generally keep my extra pen in a charged FRIO, inside the cabin cooler.

M.

These are good, but definitely doesn't keep the medicine refrigerator cold, just cool. I use the Frio pack for taking my open insulin ashore during port days.

I have traveled with Byetta Byoduron and Victoza on cruises, and have traveled throughout Europe on land and cruises with them too. I now have the Friio case, and then I also use a freezer pac for the airplane and I have never had any problems.You can soak the frio pack in ice wayer and be sure to freshen it daily. Unless you are taking a spare Byoduron, you dont have to keep it that cold after it is open. If you are concerned, just have your Endo write you a script for Byetta and use that instead while you are traveling.

Befor I had the frio case, on Celebrity, I inform the room steward that I need the fridge to be below 45 degrees as I have to travel with an extra Byetta and or Victoza and he had the engineer come in and check the fridge to make sure it had adequate freon. You can also call the special needs dept of your cruiseline and explain and stress that you must have a functioning fridge. You can also use the ice cubes they provide each day to insure cold but not freezing temps. In 4 years I have never had a problem.

• 4 years later...
I will be sailing on the Splendor in December. I have started taking Bydureon shots once a week. We will be flying in the day before. My problem I am trying to figure ways of keeping it cold from the time I leave home to the hotel to the port the next day.

Any help I would love.

Hi I have similar problem. All the insulin or FRIO bags are brilliant but NOT big enough for the Bydureon (once a week) pen. If you find out I should be grateful to know the answer.

Hi I have similar problem. All the insulin or FRIO bags are brilliant but NOT big enough for the Bydureon (once a week) pen. If you find out I should be grateful to know the answer.

FYI the posts from DebrorahJo that you're responding to go back to 2012 .

Edited by xxoocruiser