Camp Carnival on Triumph-did your kids like it or hate it, and why or why not?

jfpb

I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. I've gotten some mixed feelings from what I've read on the boards. I would appreciate any feed back or suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

just got off the miracle and from what i have heard the camp carnival itinarary is fleet wide.. we used the camp on two days and the kids loved it. they are two so they cant talk but they, were very happy to be there and sad to leave. we did use the babysitting almost every night from 10pm til 3 am. this service costs 6 per hour per kid9i belive there is a break for two kids from the same family) and it was the best service offered. the camp carnival staff was friendly and well liked by the kids. we ended up tipping the staff very well since there services were so good!

Hi jfpb,

We sailed on Triumph last month with our kids, 12, 8 and 3y.o., all three of which used camp carnival at one time or another during our cruise. This is the third cruise for all three of them (all on Carnival). DS#1 (12) and DD (8) have used Camp Carnival each cruise, but this was the first time for DS#2 (3 y.o) as he was only 23 months old on the cruise previous to this one.

DD had a blast on all three cruises with kids club, and always wanted to go back at every opportunity. She had a great time on the Triumph. DS#2 didn't always want to go (wanted to be with Mommy & Daddy), and we didn't force him. When he did go and stay, he seamed to have a fun time, but was always very glad to see us.

DS#1, after the first day did not want to go back. He said that it just didn't seam like they did anything there that he couldn't do on his own, and he preferred to hang out with me (which was fine with us). This was a real change, because his two previous cruises we had to pry him away for the kids programs (puberty could have something to do with that though, and he was on the young end of the 12-14 y.o. group)

The biggest issue I had was that the 2-5 year old group and the 6-8 year old group always seeamed to be meeting at the opposite ends of the ship for drop off and/or pick-up during almost the entire cruise. An example would be that if they went back to kids club at 2PM after lunch, I'd have to drop DS#2 off on deck 12 forward (kids corner), but then go down to deck 5 aft (hollywood lounge) to drop off DD. By the time I got to settle in to a chair somewhere it seamed like I had to repeat the steps for pick-up prior to dinner. After our cruise I told DW that I felt like I hardly ever sat down the entire trip!

We were on the Truimph 2 years ago my ds was 5 at the time and he loved it. He begged us to put him in there. He is looking foward to camp this cruise. I hope he likes it as much as the first time. Michelle

We were on the triumph last week with three kids, ages 6,7 and 11.

Although we all loved the ship and had a wonderful cruise, we were very disappointed with camp.

My kids loved the slide and wanted to be at the pool most of the day. I'm sure there were lots of fun stuff that they missed by staying at the pool during the day. Everynight after dinner we dropped off the kids at camp. Most nights(not exactly sure of how many) the kids were taken to the shows in the Rome Lounge.In my opinion this is not something kids want to do on vacation.If they wanted to go to the shows, they would've stayed with me.

Late night started at 10pm. The 6-8 year olds were grouped with the 2-5 year olds. Therefore they had to be quiet and watch Disney movies. MY 7 year old son was very upset that he had to watch Alice in Wonderland with "the babies"

I understand why the 2-5 have to watch movies, but totally disagree with putting 8 year old with 2 year olds.

One day when we finally got the kids to go during the day, so we could nap by the pool, they couldn't stay. It was family day. The kids could not stay without an adult. I thought the whole idea of camp was to watch and entertain the kids without their parents.

My husband and I both felt that they must have been short staffed and were looking for something easy to do with the kids. I can't imagine that camp would get the rave reviews that it gets if this is the way it is always run.

Although my kids did not like camp, it did not stop them from having a great time. They loved the water slide. It was open everyday except the first and they never complained about the lines. The pools were filled with adults, but noone seemed to mind the kids. They are not allowed to jump or dive.

Sorry to give such a bad review. I wish I had known ahead of time, so I would not have built it up to be so great to my kids before we cruised.

Our first cruise was RC Radiance of the Seas. The kids loved Adventure Ocean.

Enjoy your cruise, we sure did.

Michele

We were on the triumph last week with three kids, ages 6,7 and 11.

Although we all loved the ship and had a wonderful cruise, we were very disappointed with camp.

My kids loved the slide and wanted to be at the pool most of the day. I'm sure there were lots of fun stuff that they missed by staying at the pool during the day. Everynight after dinner we dropped off the kids at camp. Most nights(not exactly sure of how many) the kids were taken to the shows in the Rome Lounge.In my opinion this is not something kids want to do on vacation.If they wanted to go to the shows, they would've stayed with me.

Late night started at 10pm. The 6-8 year olds were grouped with the 2-5 year olds. Therefore they had to be quiet and watch Disney movies. MY 7 year old son was very upset that he had to watch Alice in Wonderland with "the babies"

I understand why the 2-5 have to watch movies, but totally disagree with putting 8 year old with 2 year olds.

One day when we finally got the kids to go during the day, so we could nap by the pool, they couldn't stay. It was family day. The kids could not stay without an adult. I thought the whole idea of camp was to watch and entertain the kids without their parents.

My husband and I both felt that they must have been short staffed and were looking for something easy to do with the kids. I can't imagine that camp would get the rave reviews that it gets if this is the way it is always run.

Although my kids did not like camp, it did not stop them from having a great time. They loved the water slide. It was open everyday except the first and they never complained about the lines. The pools were filled with adults, but noone seemed to mind the kids. They are not allowed to jump or dive.

Sorry to give such a bad review. I wish I had known ahead of time, so I would not have built it up to be so great to my kids before we cruised.

Our first cruise was RC Radiance of the Seas. The kids loved Adventure Ocean.

Enjoy your cruise, we sure did.

Michele

Don't feel sorry for giving a bad review of the kids program. I agree with you very much (I don't like to pass on the negative either), and the program on board is what it is..... thanks for sharing it with the OP!

Archived