cave tubing in belize, or swimming with the dolphins?

Skimby

cave tubing or swim with dolphins  

22 members have voted

1. 1. cave tubing or swim with dolphins

Hello! Firs ttime cruise on Explorer of the Seas (Western) in 10 days, and not an excursions planned yet -

If you had a choice- swimming with dolphins in Cozumel or cave tubing in Belize, which would you pick?

also, which company would you recommend I book with?

Hola amigos y amigas,

Why not both? Of the 2 excursions the Dolphin swim is the more expensive but by going through private companies you should be able to do both. Check out the Chankanaab Park website (sorry, but I don't have it at this time, JUst do a Google,) or check the Cozumel Insider. I've seen good reviews on most of the cave tubing tours. We used Wet & Wild, but I have also heard good things on Yhony, Reggie Tour and others. You should be able to cut 30 to 40% off by booking independently.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

I had the same choice to make.........actually dh made it for me. He already informed me that he WILL NOT under any circumstances carry anyones tube but his own while we trek through the jungle for 40 minutes to get to the caves. We have 3 dd's (9,11 &13) and I know that dd9 will definetely have trouble with the tube so..............Tubing is out & Dolphins are in! (Stingrays too - in GC)

Plus.....I cant afford an excursion at every port! :eek:

I suggest try booking with dolphindiscovery.com to see if there is any space left. This excursion sells out since only about 8 people at a time do the excursion. (this will avoid any disappointments once onboard too)

I would cave tube. Swimming w/the dolphins would be great, but it is not as hard to find a place to do it at as it once was. On the other hand, how many times will you have the opportunity to cave tube?

hhhmmm, I don't think I'd choose either, actually. The cave tubing sounds great, but keep in mind that you have quite a hike to get there and you'll be carrying your tube with you along the way. It's not exactly a sidewalk you'll be walking on so for some, it can be a bit of an exertion. Seems like the shoes best for the hike would not be the shoes you want to wear into the water. Keep in mind you have to carry what ever your bring, throughout the entire excursion.

The swim with the dolphin, you have to be careful there. There are two types and make sure you do your research so you know what you're getting. There are some places that a dolphin encounter are great and the rest, merely copy cat versions that are not worth the money and I raise an eyebrow as to the conditions for the dolphins.

Some are where you merely stand on a platform and you can touch and hug a dolphin, it does tricks, you can get a photo, or dvd and that's it. There are others where you do actually swim with them. Read all the details. It may say 3 hour excursion but somtimes it's an hours travel to get there. Then they divide the groups in two and the first group spends 20 minutes dolphin encount while there is a diversion for the waiting group.

Just read the fine print and be sure you know what you're getting before shelling out your $100++.

We will be doing both, it's not like you get to take these trips everyday, at least we don't. So make the most of the opportunity.

We booked the cave tubing thru Extreme Cave Tubing and the dolphin package thru Dolphin Discovery. We found both sites thru this site and have to say, they've both been extremely satisfactory, as far as customer service goes.

In Cozumel, we'll be participating in package #4, the royal dolphin swim, sea lion swim and sea lion show. Another one in our party will just take part in the royal dolphin swim and watch us with the sea lions and another friend will either watch or snorkel at Chankanaab.

Sorry not to pick one but it would have been too difficult.

Enjoy, whichever you choose.

I have done cave tubbing in Belize and I give it my highest recommendation. Yes it is quite a trek through the jungle and yes I did get attacked by killer ants, but how often do you get that sort of opportunity? It was a great time. The only thing I would do differently would be to book it independently and save a LOT of money. Also, get some good water shoes so you will be comfortable on the hike but can still wear them once you get in the water.

just got back, and I've got to tell you- the cave tubing was AWESOME! In the rain, hiking the rain forest, tubing through the caves.....so much fun!!!

thanks for all your suggestions!

Oh, we used Coral Breeze, and they were FANTASTIC! Ask for Ivar- he was awesome!

Archived