Astrada Zoo

H&K+1

Has anybody been to the Astrada Zoo in Nassau? We were thinking about hoping on the public bus to go there with our 6 year old. It is offered through our cruise line but I can save SO much $$ just getting on a bus and paying admission there. Is it a good way to spend a few hours with a little one?

We went on a Carnival tour that did the Fort, Queen's Staircase and ended up at the zoo.

It is not a very big zoo-but you can feed the Lori parrots (FUN) and they have flamingo races.

I liked it and I think kids would like it, as long as they are not afraid of the birds landing on you and the flamingoes coming up to you.

If you have been to some of the major zoos in the states, it is very small by comparison and you won't be impressed, but we liked it.

oops. I meant Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Center. I have read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor. I think it may be a contender for something to do.

How do I edit on here to change that to Ardastra? I'm new to Cruise Critic. Actually this is our first cruise so it was really nice to find this site to do research!

There's no need to book this through the cruise - it's really easy to do on your own. We went there last year and took the #10 bus. It costs $1.25 a person and the bus stop is not a long walk from the cruise terminal.

I think it would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours with a little one. We didn't have any little ones with us but we still had fun. :) Make sure you're there for the lorry parrot feeding. As jasminelee said, it's a small zoo.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did this last week and heed my advice: take a bus or taxi to get there!

We hoofed it - and it was a much longer walk than we thought it was going to be. :eek:

The map we were looking at was clearly way off scale and showed it being relatively close to where we were at the time. So we thought it would be maybe a 5-10 minute walk. Took us about 30 minutes. I really didn't mind all the walking, but I was a bit disappointed that it was so far because I felt like we wasted so much time just getting there!

Oh well. It was fun but I'm sure it's much prettier in the summer when all the flowers are in bloom. (There were pretty much no flowers at all.)

Definitely feed the Lory parrots - that was awesome! The flamingo parade was really just kind of silly and a bit of a let-down. It was informative, but not really at all what I was expecting.

Ardastra Gardens is one of the few things that attracts us to Nassau as a port. Unless you're up for the hike (it is a goodly half-hour, but if you're looking to burn calories, it's not too bad. Just make sure you have water!), take a jitney or taxi there. No need to book through the ship -- you can pay at the gate.

It is nothing like what you'd see in the states -- small and modest. (And take the 'flamingo parade' with a large shaker of salt. :p ) But they are serious about education and conservation. And feeding the lorrakeets is worth the price of admission alone! :)

Archived