Carnival Age Policy

I have a question, that I just cannot seem to find an answer to. My parents (ages 46 & 42), my sister (18), and myself (21) are planning a cruise on the Eastern Caribbean on June 25 onboard the Glory. Right now my parents are booked in one cabin and my sister and I are booked in the one next door (the cabins even have adjoining balconies). My question is this...will Carnival let this fly? Their policy states that anyone under 21 must be accompanied by a Parent/Legal Guardian over 25 in the same stateroom. Before she turned 18 I WAS her legal guardian (obviously not now because she is an adult)...but I'm 21. Someone told me that since Mum and Dad were next door, we'd be fine...but then again back to the written policy. Has anyone run into this issue before with Carnival? Will they bend the rules? If they say they will, how can we guarantee it? Would they really kick us off the boat? I just don't want to get there and then have this potential nightmare surface. Any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Despite what it says on the website and in the brochure we have never had a problem "booking" our daughter in a separate cabin from us. In fact we take her friend along with us and "book" her in the cabin with her. We are not a legal gaurdian of her friend in any way shape or form except for the notarized statement we bring along in case of medical emergencies. I guess it depends on who you speak to at Carnival or who you book with. Try it the way you want. The worst that can happen is they say no. If that happens then do like the previous poster mentioned.

If you are traveling with your parents and are booked in ajoining cabins, you will be fine. I saw on another thread where someone posted the exact wording from the Carnival site regarding this, but I can not seem to find it. You will be fine and they won't put you off of the boat.

Thanks for the reassurance. We did book it that way (Mum & Dad in one, us in the other)...but weird stuff has always happened on family vacations in the past...from experience, this one will be no exception...I just want to make sure that the "hiccup" isn't on this point.

Thanks again.

I just booked our daughters (22 and 19) in a cabin this week. Yesterday I got a call from the Carnival rep telling me that the computer wouldn't let her put our booking through that way, since the younger one is under 21. She ended up putting each girl in with one of us (parents) and told us to tell the purser on the ship that we needed it changed. She said that it would be no problem to get it changed.

The following was taken from the Carnival website under *legal notices*

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

Notice #3 which I have highlighted in red. Here they are saying that minors *can* be in their own stateroom as long as they are travelling with parents or guardian in an *accompanying* stateroom.

I found that info from another thread here on the board after doing the search and then when to Carnival to look it up myself and it was right there. So while it may say one thing in a different part of the site, the above is what it says under its legal notices.

To the OP - you don't state where you are from but I see you are new to the board. Is there anyone in the family that would qualify for the military discount Carnival offers? If your dad (or mom) is a US Veteran they would be eligible for a discount. Just thought I'd ask.

If they book you in seperate rooms you can take your cards to the pursers desk and have them re keyed and put the kids in one room.You will need to bring everyones cards because once they rekey a card for one stateroom it wipes out the other cards.We took a large group on a senior trip and had to book an adult in each room.We just swapped it around when we got on board.They did'nt check the ages.It was a mess since they had to rekey ALL the cards.You can just swap sleeping arrangements but your card will only open the room it's booked for.

CC

We have split up our family in order to comply with Carnival's policy. 16 year old in the cabin with me and 21 year old in a cabin with my husband. Hopefully we can get the key cards straightened out so that we can switch and put the two boys together. Our other son is only 23, but since he is married there wasn't a problem putting him & his 21 year old wife in a cabin alone. (Good thing or he would have thrown a fit!! :eek: )

I've read numerous posts about teenagers on "school trips" and it doesn't sound like Carnival sticks to this policy with them. Do they have double standards??

I've read numerous posts about teenagers on "school trips" and it doesn't sound like Carnival sticks to this policy with them. Do they have double standards??

The rules are different for these types of groups. I don't know what the rules are, I just know that they are different.:confused:

As for everyone else, as long as you were allowed to book in separate cabins, don't worry about it. Carnival doesn't seem to be very consistant about how they book minors but I've never heard anyone come back and say they ran into problems when they tried to board.

• 3 months later...

From Carnival's cruise contract (my bold)

(f) Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; or (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision.

The only time you have to book with mommy in one room and daddy in the other is if you are booking guarantee or cabins that are not near each other. We have been doing this for years. Usually we book the kids in the room next to us and the cabin is in their name. This cruise we booked a quranteee and we had to do the parents switch thing because there is no quarantee we will be near each other. There are alot of TA's and PVP's who automatically book families with the parent switch even if they don't have to. It does cause a little trouble because you have to stand in line at the purser's desk to switch the key cards. It is not a problem but just something else to do instead of having that next funship special. Cindy

Archived