Good times in Costa Rica

SailAway102

What did you do in Costa Rica? Looking for ideas ! Can you share your highs/lows of your excursions and tips or suggestions?
I've been there several times. The tour that did the aerial tram and nature walk was awful. Our guide on the tram barely opened his mouth and pointed out things only well after we'd passed. By the time we went for lunch, they'd run out of food and we got a tablespoonful each of rice and beans, a tiny slice of watermelon and some bug juice. It wasn't even a snack and you had to pay for anything other than the bug juice. I'd stay away.

I've also taken a private river cruise and alligator tour which was fun. You see the alligators and cruise down the river. It's a nice tour.

When I was there last month, I took the river rafting tour which was fun. We spent about two hours paddling down the river, over rocks, through little rapids and saw wildlife. Lunch was delicious.

DSC_5082.JPG

Boy Pam, I don't know if you and I had the same tour (not a Princess excursion and I can't remember who it was with) but my experience exactly mirrored yours. At one point we went through some glass cases of reptile/insect exhibits and the guide would be in the next room talking about something there before the entire group even got into the previous room. It was ridiculous. I usually go with the flow but I got really ticked for the poor folks at the end of the line who were out in a hallway as he was highlighting various animals. Finally I said "wait A MINUTE. Aren't we missing about 10 people?" Same deal with the food. It was a big waste of $$ and time. And I wasn't the only one in the group that was tweaked about it. It was either Mario or Lucky or something like that.

We did a similar tour with JJ back in 2011 and that part (tram, nature walk and zipline) stank as well (not so much JJs' fault as he just took us there and we were first group of season). Lunch wasn't an issue as we went to a restaurant. We did a boat ride on the canal which was nice, although we didn't see a lot of wildlife but that's luck of the draw.

If looking at private tours, try to find out what facility the guide uses. Apparently some trams are way better than others as are ziplines. I think the one we used and referenced above was 'Rainforest Canopy Adventures'.

Thank you all for your input! Since we live in Los Angeles we are feeling the need to change our scenery from the asphalt jungle to one full of croc's, monkeys and possibly macaws! We have over done zip lining and may try the white water rafting. We are adventure seekers and animal lovers. So, we are looking to design a tour around these ideas....

I do not like what I'm reading here about the aerial tram and nature tour --

We are reconsidering our current plans for Costa Rica ... wanting to experience more of the country without (necessarily) a zip line

I've been looking more closely at the Veragua Rain Forest facility -- it has the exhibits and aerial tram - and looks like any tour operator can access their facility.

Do you think it was your specific provider or the facility that created the disappointment you write about?

Archived