Balcony Cabin - light on balcony?

bsharynu

I booked a balcony cabin and was wondering if there is a light on the balcony at night. My husband and I thought it would be nice to sit out on the balcony and read while our kids were sleeping. So we were wondering if there was a light on the balcony or if we should bring flashlights and/or rely on the backlight on our e-readers.

Noticed you are sailing on Legend ! Great Ship, I have sailed on 2 of her sister's (Miracle & Pride).

Yes, there is a light on the balconies, however we chose to use a 'clip on' light or 'reader' light for our e-readers so that we could still see the stars, and not annoy neighbours with the bright light. I actually used the clip on light for reading during a night flight recently, as most people were snoozing or napping during the flight. Unfortunately, my e-reader is not back-lit, so the light is necessary.

Have a great cruise !

One of our great joys of cruising is to sit on our balcony and read at night, lights on.

To each his own.

That's fine - what people are asking is that the light not stay on 24-7 and that you turn it out when you go inside or leave the cabin. It's the Captain's discretion whether or not you'll have a light that working. Balcony lights can be disabled from the bridge. I know the Captain of the Liberty disables all of them when leaving port. Other ships it may be only the far forward ones right near the bridge.

Just FYI, on the Liberty, nobody's lights worked on the aft balconies. Yet, everybody with afts on the Miracle had theirs work. Differently shaped ships I guess, because I have heard that they disable them so as to not interfere with the navigational system.

On our last cruise (on the Liberty), we had one of the L-shaped cabins (with the longer balcony) at the Aft end. On Deck 10, just behind the plexiglass enclosure at the top of the stairs (on both sides of the ship), there are floodlights that shine down the sides. Our balcony, as well as the others at or near the corners of the ship, were lit up well enough to read without any other lights. Great if you want to sit out there and read, not so great if you want to star gaze (or whatever:D). Rather than turn on your balcony light to read, get a small battery operated camper's lantern. Then your neighbors won't complain.

It's not interferring with the ships navigation system that you are on, it's the possibility that formations/combinations of white lights could appear to be signalling something else to other boats. Remote and how they'd miss the lit up super structure is beyond comprehension, but that is international maritime law for you. Have a look next time you sail past an oil rig or fishing boat at night there will be a combination of white & yellow lights that let the masters of other vessels know what they are doing, a net fishing boat will display lights so that it is known what side of the boat the net is out on. It's too many years since I had to know these, and the only one I can remember is because of a saying....red over white fishing at night

I'm going on my first balcony in February so I'm not speaking from experience with cruises but with camping, I'm not sure the complaints are necessarily about the lights on while people are sleeping as there are the curtains. Rather they come from people who would like to sit out in the dark and try to see the water or stars. Light pollution makes this more difficult. I am looking forward to the darkness to see the stars and constellations away from city lights from my balcony (maybe thats a dream)

Thank you, that was what I was going to say. If the sky is clear, we really enjoy looking at the stars and just listening to the ocean. On one cruise, we had people next door who left their light on and it lit up our balcony, too. Our steward ask them to turn it off, but it was on again the next night although they were not on the balcony. Hope you have good neighbors on your cruise and enjoy. ;)

I booked a balcony cabin and was wondering if there is a light on the balcony at night. My husband and I thought it would be nice to sit out on the balcony and read while our kids were sleeping. So we were wondering if there was a light on the balcony or if we should bring flashlights and/or rely on the backlight on our e-readers.

Please, please, please get those little clip on book reading lights. The harsh balcony lights are very annoying to those trying to enjoy the moonlight on the waves and gaze at the stars. :)

Please please PLEASE turn your balcony light off at night!! It WILL shine into your neighbors' cabins and be quite annoying. :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I stopped booking balcony and went to ocean view. Lights left on all night, cigarette/ cigar smoke blowing from the other balconies, and late night parties cured me.

We just returned from a cruise on the Triumph...L-shaped balcony cabin near the aft on starboard side...and our balcony light never worked. Not sure I'd really want it on much...if any...as we like sitting in the dark out there and watching the sea and stars. The lights didnt work on our previous Triumph cruise either. Really no big deal to us, but it kinda makes ya wonder what they put them there for if they dont want them to be operational. I guess if they did work, and someone wanted to use them...then go for it. If your second-hand smoke can blow back into my balcony..as it did pretty much each time we used our balcony this last cruise...then I'm not gonna worry about a little light...which may be annoying to some, but not harmful. I realize smokers have very few places left to smoke onboard, so I will just hope for a non-smoking balcony neighbor and just deal with it if its otherwise. We love the balconys, and wouldnt let smoke or extra light ever keep us from booking them.:)

Archived