phu my

Dennis75

We are visiting phu my in januari 2013. We are looking for a nice excursion but we have no idea what the possibilities are. We do not want to go to Ho Chi Minh city, but we want to visit some nature or the countryside. Does anyone have suggestions? Or does anyone know where we can pre book an excursion like that (not an excursion from the cruiseship). Thank you!

We are visiting phu my in januari 2013. We are looking for a nice excursion but we have no idea what the possibilities are. We do not want to go to Ho Chi Minh city, but we want to visit some nature or the countryside. Does anyone have suggestions? Or does anyone know where we can pre book an excursion like that (not an excursion from the cruiseship). Thank you!

Great question and I was going to ask the same thing. We are looking at a cruise that includes Phu My as the only port in Vietnam so my preference would be to see some villages and countryside vs. a large city.

We are on a cruise in a couple of weeks that calls into Phu My. I'll post the link to the company we have used for our Halong Bay cruise. They have a series of port excursions listed on the left hand side. I asked about Phy My - the excursion is very similar to the ship's one, but is longer and includes lunch. I think it is about $67.00pp. I haven't booked it - still would like something a little different, but haven't found anything yet. You may be able to negotiate a different itinerary etc.

http://www.shoretripdeals.com / http://www.halongbestcruises.com

We just booked a nice excursion for the port of Phu My (see below). We do a tour in the Mekong Delta with Best Cruises. If you want to join us (28 th of january 2013 with Ms Volendam) you can send the tourguide an email sales@toursmekong.com The name of the tourguide is Stephen.

Day 1: Saigon – Mekong River Cruise (Lunch)

09h00 - Our guide and driver will pick up you at Phu My port and we will drive to My Tho, the capital of Tien Giang Province 172 km from Phu My Port. You will take time to visit Vinh Trang pagoda, the most beautiful pagoda of the province with mixture structure of many styles.

Then take a boat trip round 4 beautiful islets: Dragon, Unicorn, Phoenix, and Tortoise. These evergreen islands among the Mekong River still remain unknown to many people. You will discover beautiful landscapes along the river and observe the typical Mekong delta rural life. Stops on the way can be made upon request for particular visits or photos making. Visit traditional house at Quoi An village (all make from coconut). See coconut collection set and how locals make handicrafts from trunk and shell, you can see that they waste nothing, coconut even useful from wedding to funeral.

Enjoy seasonal fruit and listening to traditional music. Take horse cart on village path and stop at Ben Truc orchard, taste honey with tea or Mekong whisky (they have a funny rule for you to get in). Take rowing-boat on water palm creek. Take boat to visit coconut candy mill (special product of Ben Tre province). We will back the ship at 20h00 – 20h30.

We offer: $125/pp

Group 4 – 6 Pax

Tour Included:

+ Private Car with aircon transfer

+ Private tour guide speak English.

+ Private Boat in Mekong

+ Mineral water as the trip.

+ Ticket for entrance fee

+ Permit dock

Please let us now if you booked with Best Tours

Lunch is included

Please be aware that around the Mekong (My Tho area) is one place in Vietnam that raises and butchers dogs for meat.

I have spent quite a bit of time in Vietnam for business. The ONLY place I have actually seen them butchering dogs was around My Tho. I know it goes on in various places but to actually see it made me very sick. The guides do their best to try to hide it knowing it upsets Westerners but do be aware.

Taking one of the Blue Cruiser trips to the floating market in Can Tho or to the Cu Chi tunnels is really a better option, IMHO (regardless of the dog meat situation). Those Mekong delta "boat" trips are VERY, VERY touristy. And all the coconut stuff is really, really there just to sell you something. One of those islands is filled with birds and the Vietnamese were dragging tourists there during the height of the Bird Flu epidemic.

There really are more interesting things to see in Vietnam.

There is NOTHING in Phu MY except the container port. It is relatively new and was built to relieve the overcrowding in the port of Vung Tau.

Please be aware that around the Mekong (My Tho area) is one place in Vietnam that raises and butchers dogs for meat.

I have spent quite a bit of time in Vietnam for business. The ONLY place I have actually seen them butchering dogs was around My Tho. I know it goes on in various places but to actually see it made me very sick. The guides do their best to try to hide it knowing it upsets Westerners but do be aware.

Taking one of the Blue Cruiser trips to the floating market in Can Tho or to the Cu Chi tunnels is really a better option, IMHO (regardless of the dog meat situation). Those Mekong delta "boat" trips are VERY, VERY touristy. And all the coconut stuff is really, really there just to sell you something. One of those islands is filled with birds and the Vietnamese were dragging tourists there during the height of the Bird Flu epidemic.

There really are more interesting things to see in Vietnam.

There is NOTHING in Phu MY except the container port. It is relatively new and was built to relieve the overcrowding in the port of Vung Tau.

A short reaction about this. I think every place where a cruiseship docks, is very touristy. Also the tunnels and hcmc. We don't want to visit the tunnels and ho chi minh. We just want to visit the mekong.

If you want to see the real vietnam you have to visit it for more weeks and you have to go with the locals.

And about the dog meat: maybe it taste good:D at home we eat chicken and in peru they eat guinea-pig....(but don't worry, we shall not eat it).

A short reaction about this. I think every place where a cruiseship docks, is very touristy. Also the tunnels and hcmc. We don't want to visit the tunnels and ho chi minh. We just want to visit the mekong.

If you want to see the real vietnam you have to visit it for more weeks and you have to go with the locals.

You missed the point. Cu Chi is out in the country. Hence, a lot of nature and scenery. No one said anything about going to the tunnels, although that is what most who go to Cu Chi want to see. What was once the world's largest rubber plantation (Michelin) is very, very close to Cu Chi. And certainly NOT touristy.

The floating market at Cai Be is TRUE Vietnam. This is NOT a touristy market like Cai Rang in Can Tho-it is the local market. So a trip to Vinh Long and the Cai Be market is NOT a trip most tourists take but can be arranged per charter boat from Saigon, probably even from Phu MY, as Blue Cruiser runs trips from Saigon to Phu MY and return. The pottery factory and rice paper factory in Vinh Long are also interesting.

And about the dog meat: maybe it taste good:D at home we eat chicken and in peru they eat guinea-pig....(but don't worry, we shall not eat it).

While I eat beef, chicken and pork, I can't relate any of those animals to house pets. And I certainly don't spend time at packing houses watching them butcher the animals.

BUT in Vietnam around My Tho, the dogs are butchered out in the open, not in a packing house. And if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and hear the screaming and howling, it may bother you tremendously. Maybe not, but I believe most people should at least be warned that raising dogs for meat in the My Tho region of the Mekong is one of their industries.

I would be one of those persons who would be very disturbed to hear or see butchering of dogs; even reading it is quite upsetting so I do appreciate that you have provided a heads up. I love to experience the culture of other countries but that does not mean I enjoy all aspects of those different cultures or agree with it. Some things I would rather not experience and that is one of them. Thanks for the heads up!

Archived