Ephesus Deluxe Duo tour Istanbul and Kusadasi

Considering booking this this combination tour for next September and wonder if anyone has taken the 1 1/2 day combination with a full day in Istanbul but a half day in Kusadasi?

I have, but it was some time ago, in May of 2011. Anything I can help you with?

Thank heaps Zuke for posting the link to your review.....amazing!

I suspected a 'rug' visit would be included in Istanbul and wondering how to handle it as my husband is not overly keen. We did not plan on having any local currency but I guess we will need some to buy lunch. Was this tour about 7 hrs? It appears many of the attractions are close so I guess the van is mainly used for transport to and from.

In Ephesus our plan is just to visit the city including the Terrace Houses. This tour is set for 4 hrs with hopefully no 'extras' We arrive at 10 so hopefully we can be back at the ship before 3 which will give us some free exploring time before 7pm departure.

Thanks again Gail

Thank heaps Zuke for posting the link to your review.....amazing!

I suspected a 'rug' visit would be included in Istanbul and wondering how to handle it as my husband is not overly keen. We did not plan on having any local currency but I guess we will need some to buy lunch. Was this tour about 7 hrs? It appears many of the attractions are close so I guess the van is mainly used for transport to and from.

In Ephesus our plan is just to visit the city including the Terrace Houses. This tour is set for 4 hrs with hopefully no 'extras' We arrive at 10 so hopefully we can be back at the ship before 3 which will give us some free exploring time before 7pm departure.

Thanks again Gail

Yes, the transportation was mainly back and forth from the cruise terminal to the Sultanahmet neighborhood. From there, we did everything on foot, although the van would have been available if had needed it or had mobility problems.

I don't remember how we dealt with payment for lunch, but I know we did not have any Turkish currency with us, so either the restaurant accepted Euros or our guide (Fatih Copuroglu, who I highly recommend) paid and we reimbursed him in Euros. Sorry, I just don't recall, but I don't think there's any need for Turkish currency unless you're going to the Bazaar.

Our tour was indeed scheduled for 7 hours, and we were supposed to finish up with a visit to either the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Market, but my wife was still recovering from the illness mentioned in my review and was just exhausted, so we cut things short by an hour and went back to the ship.

The rug factory was really optional, and Fatih would have skipped it if we had insisted, but it actually turned out to be an interesting stop. There's a bit of "theater" to the showing of the rugs, and they are very beautiful, but terribly expensive. Don't get me wrong, they WILL try to sell you a rug or wall hanging, and WILL try to overcome every objection you might come up with, but they were very polite about it. The place we went was a complex that also included a jewelry shop and a ceramics shop...we did buy a hand painted and glazed piece there that we have displayed on our mantel here at home.

At Ephesus, our guide made a half-hearted attempt to get us to stop at a rug factory or a leather outlet, but she didn't push the issue. I had mentioned that we weren't crazy about the Ephesus guide, but I understand she is no longer being used by Ephesus Deluxe, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Yes, the transportation was mainly back and forth from the cruise terminal to the Sultanahmet neighborhood. From there, we did everything on foot, although the van would have been available if had needed it or had mobility problems.

I don't remember how we dealt with payment for lunch, but I know we did not have any Turkish currency with us, so either the restaurant accepted Euros or our guide (Fatih Copuroglu, who I highly recommend) paid and we reimbursed him in Euros. Sorry, I just don't recall, but I don't think there's any need for Turkish currency unless you're going to the Bazaar.

Our tour was indeed scheduled for 7 hours, and we were supposed to finish up with a visit to either the Grand Bazaar or the Spice Market, but my wife was still recovering from the illness mentioned in my review and was just exhausted, so we cut things short by an hour and went back to the ship.

The rug factory was really optional, and Fatih would have skipped it if we had insisted, but it actually turned out to be an interesting stop. There's a bit of "theater" to the showing of the rugs, and they are very beautiful, but terribly expensive. Don't get me wrong, they WILL try to sell you a rug or wall hanging, and WILL try to overcome every objection you might come up with, but they were very polite about it. The place we went was a complex that also included a jewelry shop and a ceramics shop...we did buy a hand painted and glazed piece there that we have displayed on our mantel here at home.

At Ephesus, our guide made a half-hearted attempt to get us to stop at a rug factory or a leather outlet, but she didn't push the issue. I had mentioned that we weren't crazy about the Ephesus guide, but I understand she is no longer being used by Ephesus Deluxe, so I wouldn't be concerned.

Thankyou again

I will definitely take note of your Istanbul guide's name and see if he still is available to Ephseus Deluxe. I have only made enquiries but will probably confirm a booking once I have shown the other two couples my research. I feel this combination tour will suit us as we will still have free time in each port as we are in Istanbul for 1 1/2 days and Kusadasi for 9hrs

I must mention again how much I did enjoy your trip report....I note the use of the Rome Pass and Packsafe products as useful information!!

There's a review of that complete trip in this thread: boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1423513. Istanbul & Kusadasi start around page 3. It's full of photos, but since the photos are hosted with Webshots (which is closing its doors), the photos will all probably disappear in December.

Thanks again. I have taken your advice and secured Fatih for our Istanbul tour with Ephesus Deluxe. The Harem wasn't included so I've asked for that as well. Do you think I should contact Fatih indepedently to introduce ourselves or just wait till we get there as it will be booked through ED?

Thanks Gail

Thanks again. I have taken your advice and secured Fatih for our Istanbul tour with Ephesus Deluxe. The Harem wasn't included so I've asked for that as well. Do you think I should contact Fatih indepedently to introduce ourselves or just wait till we get there as it will be booked through ED?

Thanks Gail

Sure, I think you'll find him to be very friendly and responsive. Do you need his email address?

Sure, I think you'll find him to be very friendly and responsive. Do you need his email address?

Thankyou but is it-- fatih@copuroglu.com.?

I note that you included it in your review. I will not contact him until I have confirmed the tour ( just need to show the other couples the details)

Thanks Gail

ps now I just need to research our day in Naples-- thinking Capri!

Just got back from using Ephesus Deluxe for this tour (Beg of November 2012). In Istanbul we were met by our guide as scheduled and since it was early, we had a nice city overview on a Sunday. Then we did all the things mentioned including the Harem. We put plastic bags over our shoes in the Blue Mosque, but no required head covering. As mentioned, the van did take us to a central point and then all was walkable. We had a party of 11 and it had been set up by a CC member ahead of time. Since it was a Sunday the Grand Bazaar was not open, so we had a short visit at the Spice Market--totally shoulder to shoulder people! We had definitely requested NO rug shop and were disappointed when we went to one. I am sure it is the one mentioned in a previous post with the jewelry. The rug tour is quite a show, but it only lasted 1/2 hour and they served good apple tea! They were beautiful, I might say, but no one was interested. They did have a cistern below the shop we visited. Our tour guide was Elena. She was pretty good, but soft spoken. She took us to a local place for lunch. We paid in Lira, only because we had some, but everyone else pain with Euros. We had a sampler plate of local fare--all got the same thing, plus lentil soup. All was good, but the lentil soup would have been enough.

At Ephesus, our guide Carman was very informative and quite energetic. We all arrived a bit early at our meeting point from the ship and that was good as we took off early and were the first at Mary's house. (The ship got in at noon.) That was nice, because by the time we got to Ephesus, it was extremely crowed. My husband felt very rushed at Ephesus. When we compared things we saw with others on the ship, it was all different. WE did see the Terrace Houses--great. Don't be scared off by the 300 steps, they are gradual and in small increments. Our table mates went on the ship's tour and didn't do the Terrace Houses as that was $40 more--the ticket cost 15TL (7.50US). So there are trade offs depending on the guide.

We got back in plenty of time for the Bazaar in Ephesus so we could have spent more time at the Ephesus site--which is huge!

It was a good tour for the money we spent.

Three things I might mention, however.

1. Confirm--no rug tour if you wish--that is your decision.

2. The tour was priced in USD, but we wanted to use our Euros. So I had the guide call and confirm the price in Euros. It was a very unfair exchange, so we paid in USD. She asked what price I wanted to convert and I said the amount we had been quoted.

3. Our CC planner confirmed the price and she sent it to all of us by E -mail. I took a copy with me. After shopping at the Bazaar after Ephesus, we were walking to the ship and our guide was standing there--over 1 1/2 hours after she dropped us off. I was surprised to see her and she called us aside with "We have a problem. I am missing money and I have to make it up." She kept calling her boss. I was shocked as I know I had counted ours out 2X and it was in new USD. Well, as it turned out, the price was more than was quoted in the e-mail. I told her she would have to take that up with the "planner" who was still out shopping. I left her a copy of my e-mail. Once on the ship I contacted the others and none of them got stopped, so maybe since I had the e-mail she didn't have to come up with the extra for her boss. (We paid at the end of both days.) Now as I look at it, perhaps the boss was quoting the Euros conversion on the increased rate he was charging that day.

I think there was just a misunderstanding, but just letting you know----buyer beware. This was the first time this has ever happened to us. Just confirm and take the written copy. The guides have no input in the pricing--so it wasn't their fault. They were both very good.

Just got back from using Ephesus Deluxe for this tour (Beg of November 2012). In Istanbul we were met by our guide as scheduled and since it was early, we had a nice city overview on a Sunday. Then we did all the things mentioned including the Harem. We put plastic bags over our shoes in the Blue Mosque, but no required head covering. As mentioned, the van did take us to a central point and then all was walkable. We had a party of 11 and it had been set up by a CC member ahead of time. Since it was a Sunday the Grand Bazaar was not open, so we had a short visit at the Spice Market--totally shoulder to shoulder people! We had definitely requested NO rug shop and were disappointed when we went to one. I am sure it is the one mentioned in a previous post with the jewelry. The rug tour is quite a show, but it only lasted 1/2 hour and they served good apple tea! They were beautiful, I might say, but no one was interested. They did have a cistern below the shop we visited. Our tour guide was Elena. She was pretty good, but soft spoken. She took us to a local place for lunch. We paid in Lira, only because we had some, but everyone else pain with Euros. We had a sampler plate of local fare--all got the same thing, plus lentil soup. All was good, but the lentil soup would have been enough.

At Ephesus, our guide Carman was very informative and quite energetic. We all arrived a bit early at our meeting point from the ship and that was good as we took off early and were the first at Mary's house. (The ship got in at noon.) That was nice, because by the time we got to Ephesus, it was extremely crowed. My husband felt very rushed at Ephesus. When we compared things we saw with others on the ship, it was all different. WE did see the Terrace Houses--great. Don't be scared off by the 300 steps, they are gradual and in small increments. Our table mates went on the ship's tour and didn't do the Terrace Houses as that was $40 more--the ticket cost 15TL (7.50US). So there are trade offs depending on the guide.

We got back in plenty of time for the Bazaar in Ephesus so we could have spent more time at the Ephesus site--which is huge!

It was a good tour for the money we spent.

Three things I might mention, however.

1. Confirm--no rug tour if you wish--that is your decision.

2. The tour was priced in USD, but we wanted to use our Euros. So I had the guide call and confirm the price in Euros. It was a very unfair exchange, so we paid in USD. She asked what price I wanted to convert and I said the amount we had been quoted.

3. Our CC planner confirmed the price and she sent it to all of us by E -mail. I took a copy with me. After shopping at the Bazaar after Ephesus, we were walking to the ship and our guide was standing there--over 1 1/2 hours after she dropped us off. I was surprised to see her and she called us aside with "We have a problem. I am missing money and I have to make it up." She kept calling her boss. I was shocked as I know I had counted ours out 2X and it was in new USD. Well, as it turned out, the price was more than was quoted in the e-mail. I told her she would have to take that up with the "planner" who was still out shopping. I left her a copy of my e-mail. Once on the ship I contacted the others and none of them got stopped, so maybe since I had the e-mail she didn't have to come up with the extra for her boss. (We paid at the end of both days.) Now as I look at it, perhaps the boss was quoting the Euros conversion on the increased rate he was charging that day.

I think there was just a misunderstanding, but just letting you know----buyer beware. This was the first time this has ever happened to us. Just confirm and take the written copy. The guides have no input in the pricing--so it wasn't their fault. They were both very good.

Thankyou so much for this information. I am about to confirm a booking and will be very specific about details and costs. I was going to ask about the payment being in US$ as we are Australian and will need to get some. Now I won't bother enquiring aout payment in euros. We could use credit card.

We have been told that payment is at the end of the second tour, and will take email copies as reference to avoid any confusion. We are in Istanbul on a Friday and Ephesus on Sunday. The Ephesus tour is 4 hours and we don't have the House of the Virgin Mary included. We can if we pay an extra US5 each but I'm thinking we would rather spend the time at the site and of course the Terrace Houses.

Thanks again Gail

Any more info would be greatly appreciated

I agree on Mary's house. Your time would be better spent at Ephesus, in my opinion. We walked up to see it, walked through it, returned by the same path and walked through the souvenir shops. Of course this might be a big thing for some people depending on their preferences. By the time we got there, saw and returned--it was about 1 1/2 hours gone. But you might ask if you would get more time at Ephesus if you skipped Mary 's House. Just a thought.

We personally skipped Mary's House and spent more time in Ephesus and Terrace Houses. We also went to the Archaeological Museum which we found interesting and not crowded at all. After a brief stop by at the Temple of Artemis we were dropped off at the Bazaar near the docks for some additional shopping prior to departure.

We did the Ephesus Deluxe Duo, which was full days tours in both places. I thought the two tours were excellent, and the price was great as well.

We did do rug factory tours in both places, but neither was very long and it was quite fun. The sales people were not that persistent, as it was obvious that none of our group was interested in buying. The included lunch was very nice, in Ephesus.

Mary's house was really not worth it, but I guess now we can say we saw it. Ephesus is stunning; be sure to do the Terrace houses.

Thankyou for all the information. We are looking forward to the tours and ready to confirm today. As we have opted for the half day only in Ephesus (4hours) we will not include Mary's House as we are looking to spend plenty of time at the site including the Terrace Houses. The Temple of Artemis is also on the tour.

Thanks again Gail

Archived