Alaska sled dog tours general questions

Appygirl

This is not really a scroll through the posts type of question.

I'm pitching the editor of a national dog magazine about a dog sled tour article.

Does anyone know the name of the musher camp that Holland America uses in Skagway? Its about a 45 minute drive from the dock and its a land tour - the dog team pulls a wheeled cart down a forest trail. I have the photos - just not the name of the camp! Can anyone help?

Does anyone know if the glacier dog sled helicopter tours advertised for Skagway go to the Juneau ice fields?

Is anyone willing to be quoted about taking a dog sled tour anywhere in Alaska - the good, the bad, the disappointing - booked through a cruise line or independently. This would probably mean quoting you and using your name and location. If you'd be willing to say something about your dog sled experience, drop me a PM. I'd also like to hear from someone who had a heli dog tour that was cancelled due to the weather and how that was handled.

Can't say whether or not the editor will go for it but I have been published in this magazine and have a good relationship with the editor. Just trying to get my ducks in a row instead of scrambling at the last minute.

Thanks!

Appygirl, don't know how to contact you via email, but I do have some information about a great Iditarod dog camp that I've toured twice - Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels (www.buserdogs.com) in Big Lake (north of Anchorage). Martin is a four time (I think...:rolleyes:) Iditarod winner and hearing his experiences on the trail is so interesting and exciting. I've also toured an amazing recreational dog mushing camp called Howling Husky Homestead owned by Dr. Linda Chamberlain in Homer, AK, which provided an excellent tour about the history of mushing and working dogs in Alaska. Would be happy to give you some information if you are interested.

Archived