Countdown to June 9...

DanZ

Well it seems as if we all received our documentation with few or no snafus and it arrived earlier than expected, no less! With less than two weeks to go, a three-day weekend looming, and just four days of work left for me, anticipation is running wild.

Paul NH--did you decide on those patent leather shoes for formal? How are the dance lessons coming along for you and your wife?

To all on the June 9th crossing, ENJOY THE NEARNESS of the adventure. Thirteen days to go!

Dan

Yes, I'd definitely like an update on the dancing as well! I hope you are able to fox trot, rhumba, cha-cha, and waltz to your heart's content. I hope you'll let us know about the different dancing venues and which one you like best!

Have a great time!

If my wife and I are picking up anything, it would be the fox trot and the waltz, and even then, we could use a lot more practice. We are going for another group 1-hour lesson tonight. We have not been practicing during the week nights after work as much as we had hoped but will enjoy ourselves at whatever skill level we end up with on the Queens Room dance floor. I can always pretend any awkwardness is due to the movement of the ship and/or the last Martini I had. ;) (Who knows, maybe both of those factors will help!)

Now that we are under the two-week mark, we are getting very psyched. We just finished with the last of the hotel reservations for our journey around Southern England. I have not been to London since 1978, and we are all looking forward to the adventure. We will be staying a few blocks from Hyde Park; seems like a good anchor point to walk around. Any inside advise - beyond the travel book stuff - on things not to miss in London? Would also appreciate a recommendation for a good Indian restaurant near the park, one with good, spicy hot food!

Dan, I did not go with the black patent leather shoes, as tempting as they were, and Ciaobella, I will report back on the dance selection and experience.

It has been a long time since we have been embarking on such a grand vacation. I can hardly wait! (aghh! I sound like that tape recording Cunard used to play when they put you on hold for a half an hour!)

Paul

Hi Paul:

For good Indian cuisine we highly recommend Tamarind in Mayfair on the east side of Hyde Park: 20 Queen Street. Tel. 020 7629 3561.

http://www.tamarindrestaurant.co.uk/

If the Baywater area north of the park hasn't changed over the years, you can walk and run into any number of good looking Indian places. I used to love a place called Khan's, but don't know if it is still there.

Other ideas for touring... The Wallace Collection has an armor collection that can beat what you'll find in the Tower. Best yet, it's a great art collection with free admission, and, it's housed in the former residence of the family that bequeathed the collection. We're not missing this one with our boys. http://www.wallacecollection.org

A round on the London Eye is worth it. You get a great panoramic overview with narration in about a 45 minute rotation. I've already made advance reservations on line. http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/panoramics/londoneye1.shtml

If we run into each other during the crossing (who could miss another family with two boys?), I'll giver you my cell number. We're staying with friends in Kensington so I'll have a good insider source to answer any other questions you might have.

Dan

Paul:

Forgot to mention that Portobello Road on Saturday morning for antiques is still really worth it. Lots of people watching as well. There are also any number of good restaurants in and around the Nottinghill area. Breakfast or lunch at the Motown Cafe might raise your boys' perception of your cool factor. Us parents are always looking for that.

Dan

Paul:

Haven't heard from you in a while. Are you busy with last minute dance lessons or just the rush of trying to get out of town? At last, here we sit, one week to go. Hope your last minute preparations go without a hitch.

Archived