What to buy in Costa Maya???

RM

Can anyone tell me what's popular to buy in Costa Maya? It's our first time in Costa Maya. How's the silver??? Is it cheaper then Cozumel? Going to Costa Maya before Cozumel so I'd like some advance info.

My DH and I were in Costa Maya in April on the Celebrity Galaxy cruise to the Panama Canal. We really enjoyed Costa Maya. It is a laid back port, but nice. We took a taxi into Majahaul and shopped there. Look for the beautiful finger paintings around the pier area--very reasonable. Silver prices are good and they truly barter ith you there. Enjoy your time there! We are going back in December aboard the Grand Princess...Looking forward to it!:)

Can anyone tell me what's popular to buy in Costa Maya? It's our first time in Costa Maya. How's the silver??? Is it cheaper then Cozumel? Going to Costa Maya before Cozumel so I'd like some advance info.

I love Cozumel, but it can be pricey, if you don't barter with them...For fine jewelry, I love a place called Rachet and Romero...They mention it on most onboard shop talks, but don't "play it up" as much as Diamonds International. THey have loose gemstones and different settings and can custom make what you would like and have it ready before the ship leaves port that day. I've had two rings made by them and have been very pleased.

Still interested in pricing. I've been to Rachet and Romero many times in Coz and they have great stuff. Just curious if my daughter will get better deals in Costa Maya.

Thanks

we bought the usual t-shirts and then some silver and got an incredible deal on a chair hammock.......took some barterting.......:)

Hey, so did I!! I got a chair and some jewelry for $20!! Then of course I felt bad so I bought some shot glasses and some puka shells.... LOL!!! Got t-shirts 4 for $20. Make great souveniers! Silver is very cheap there.

We bought the ususal t-shirts, etc. when we were there last year. Looked at jewelry but ended up purchasing in Bahamas. My husband is fussy about silver and even though I found an awsome necklace he was concerned with the silver content so I didn't buy. We loved that stop - we went to the Mayan ruins in the Am and then lazed around on the beach chairs by Sr. Frogs after lunch. You will have a great time!

We just returned from a cruise with a stop in Costa Maya. There's really not very much there. Our daughter bought a unique finger painting of the area - it was very nice. Other than that - it was the typical stuff you are going to see at any stop in the carribean. It has not developed very much yet - which was very nice. Your shopping will be better in other ports - take an excursion (I recommend the ruins tour with Ivan and David http://chacchobenruins.com/ - thats what our family did) or just enjoy the day at the beach.

The Evans Family - Atlanta, GA

Archived