NCL Spirit 9-Day Canary Islands- Nov 6-15, 2012 - Review and Pictorial

computerworks

• 3 weeks later...
Day 6 - Lanzarote

Lanzarote was looking like an ambitious day, compared to prior ports.

Well before we leave for a cruise, I like to study the port of call, find the best sights to visit...grab a map, plot a route and check the timing so we won't find ourselves waving to the ship as it pulls away without us at the end of the day.

I make notes and create a day plan for us to follow. This morning, I took out the notes for Lazarote and read the mission I had planned...my gut felt we were overreaching.

------------

Loved your review. You've inspired us to rent cars in Lanzarote and Funchal for our 02/11 Spirit cruise. Is there a particular map online that you used to plan your routes? Or did you purchase maps somewhere?

Thanks!

------------

Loved your review. You've inspired us to rent cars in Lanzarote and Funchal for our 02/11 Spirit cruise. Is there a particular map online that you used to plan your routes? Or did you purchase maps somewhere?

Thanks!

I use Google Maps for all my routing.

You can link multiple destinations and get good data on drive time, etc.

It was a pleasure to drive on both those islands.

Absolutely loved our cruise in March, 2013. No complaints. This ship offered a better variety of liquids to drink in the buffet--more than other NCL ships we have been on, i.e. flavored waters and lemonade.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for this great report. I am looking to sail on the Spirit on its 12 day Venice - Barcelona trip in May although I am a bit worried of her size, especially for a long sailing.

I wouldn't worry to much about the size. IIRC, that itinerary is very port intensive (10/12 days?) so you will be spending a lot of long days ashore.

Computerworks...I reviewed your photos of the Spirit and then read this review. It does look like a classic and beautiful ship and not too many ships have that many amenities in that old world charm and size at this level of affordability..and they make suite cruising a somewhat affordable dream at one point. I studied in France at 20 and my home stay family loved the Canary Islands..i now know why..I am just thrilled with your review and all you worked in still enjoying and resting some too. I felt on a completely restful and beautiful travelogue. Thank you for sharing just everything!! I love Hawaii and my 2 trips to Europe in my 20's..but so much more to see for the first time and repeat..I am now 54 and will start working at getting Europe together as much as Caribbean...on the planning bucket list..can't thank you enough...you guys look sooo happy..thanks for sharing yourselves....Sarah

PS..I loved Greece..the Med trip to the Holy Land and Cairo on a very old ship in 1980..Epirotiki Appollon II the beaches in France, Greece and Italy I got to see briefly. I adore and will never finish with Hawaii...it is just heaven to me. But these Canaries are such a mixture of all those places mentioned....not Egypt but certain shots had some Israel feel. I love how you adore both the ship and really being there too..eating some at the ports and seeing things..and your "football" game..

I have not seen Portugal or any of Spain and much of Great Brittan..just London and cliffs of Dover. There is a paternal gravestone my family..(grandma got to see in Scotland..Glasgow) . Oh I so would like to get my father and I to see there from a ship and think you can get into Glasgow and we could plan well..I am trying...I could go on and on..you are a wonderful sharer and make one get ready to plan and "do it". Love having a new area truly on my list now....Thanks so very much...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I wouldn't worry to much about the size. IIRC, that itinerary is very port intensive (10/12 days?) so you will be spending a lot of long days ashore.

Yeah, that's the responses others said about this ship. I think I'll be okay and thank you for the reply.