Best cruise for 4 & 1 yr old

CdnFamilyCruisers

Hello!

I am beginning to start planning a cruise with my family for 2013 (low season) and would like some feedback from those who have cruised with young children.

I have cruised several times before with my husband before having kids so while we aren't new to cruising, we are new to cruising with kids ;)

A bit about our family

- we are Disney enthusiasts and probably will be visiting Walt Disney World in 2013 so not sure if DCL is a must do although we would like to do it eventually one day

- kids are 4 & 1

- will not be using kids club (our eldest takes a long time to get used to new people and groups so we most likely will not be using kids clubs on our first cruise. Kids will be with us 24/7 :D)

- interested in cruise where there are activities we can do with them while at sea (kiddie pool or splash area, rides, game room, character meet)

From the research I've done so far I think DCL and RCC offer what we are looking for but I wanted to ask you guys if there are others that I should look into?

We are looking at either Canada, New England or Caribbean itineraries from NYC or Florida. 5-7 nights

We also go to Disney fairly regularly, but the kids like cruising just as much. If you like beaches, I would go with a Caribbean cruise with easily accessible beaches. Going out of Fort Lauderdale is a breeze, smaller airport, close to the pier - not nearly as hectic as Miami. We have cruised 3 times with our kids - now 6 and 10 and have cruised HAL and Carnival. I prefer HAL because of the smaller ships, quieter atmosphere and HALF MOON CAY! It's the most wonderful beach for young and old - sand like whole wheat flour, very shallow, clear water, play structure for kids, lots of shade. We don't need rock climbing walls and round the clock entertainment. We just prefer to chill and take it all in as a family. We use the kids club rarely - the odd activity here and there, but my kids are hesitant to join a big group, so we do things as a family most of the time. Grand Turk is also a good stop for young ones - beach right at the pier - no need to cab it anywhere.

Hello!

I am beginning to start planning a cruise with my family for 2013 (low season) and would like some feedback from those who have cruised with young children.

I have cruised several times before with my husband before having kids so while we aren't new to cruising, we are new to cruising with kids ;)

A bit about our family

- we are Disney enthusiasts and probably will be visiting Walt Disney World in 2013 so not sure if DCL is a must do although we would like to do it eventually one day

- kids are 4 & 1

- will not be using kids club (our eldest takes a long time to get used to new people and groups so we most likely will not be using kids clubs on our first cruise. Kids will be with us 24/7 :D)

- interested in cruise where there are activities we can do with them while at sea (kiddie pool or splash area, rides, game room, character meet)

From the research I've done so far I think DCL and RCC offer what we are looking for but I wanted to ask you guys if there are others that I should look into?

We are looking at either Canada, New England or Caribbean itineraries from NYC or Florida. 5-7 nights

The two lines that you mention are good options for your family, particularly for the Caribbean itineraries because both have splash areas for babies in diapers. Other major cruise lines do not. I also agree with the PP that HAL is a good option for families, namely because they provide a tub in the cabin for outside and higher categories (on most cruise lines, other than Disney, you need to get a Junior Suite or higher to get a tub, which comes in handy for bathing little ones). :) They do not have much oriented toward family activities or entertaining children, though, on HAL. And while I love Half Moon Cay, you do need to tender (which is a pain with little ones, especially babies), and the DCL private island Castaway Cay is even better! For a Canada/New England cruise the pool/beaches aren't as much of an issue, I'd guess. I would say that Disney is the most oriented towards kids and families, and while they have a lovely kids club facility, that is only the tip of the iceberg as far as what is scheduled and available for families. Good luck with choosing!

• 3 weeks later...
Are there children's beds on ships? Such that a one-year old child could not fall out of it?

For our under 3yo cruises we did the portable crib/pack and play the cruise line gives you.

For our over 3yo cruises we have them turn the couch to the wall and make the couch like a bed.

Doing this gives you more space than having the couch pulled out to a bed.

On our HAL cruise last year, they provided a Pack-n-Play for our 1 year old. We also have one reserved on RCCL next month. I am not certain all lines have them, but I would assume most do. Make sure you have your TA reserve one for you.

I would also recommend looking at HAL. In general, the HAL ships are going to have fewer kids than RCCL/Disney so your young ones might have an easier time getting comfortable with the other kids if there are fewer of them in the age group.

Archived