A ? for those who live in the S. Cal. area

klfrodo

We'll be staying in Long Beach for 3 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise.

We are thinking of doing a day trip to Catalina. Your thoughts please. Would this be something not to miss or is there something better that you would recommend as a 'not to miss" touristy thing. Considering a day at Disney also.

When we come back, I'm really interested in seeing the 4th of July fireworks over the water. Once again we'll be in the Long Beach area. Where would you recommend we go for the Best display?

Thanks

Catalina is a great day trip. If you've never been to Southern California, there is so much to choose from -- it really depends on what you like to do. Disney is a must if you have kids, there are great museums if that is your thing, Venice Beach is fun for people watching, there are some great surfing beaches further south in Orange County, etc. etc.

If you are staying in Long Beach and don't have a car, Catalina is a good choice. You can take the ferry right there (a little under an hour to cross). There are lots of nice shops and restaurants over there, and you can rent bicycles or golf carts for the day and cruise around. There is some good hiking and nature stuff on the island as well. Also kayaking, snorkeling, etc.

I agree with SoCalGirl....a day trip to Catalina would be great.

I've lived here my entire life and just got to Catalina last summer for the first time!

We took the earliest ferry over and did a couple of excursions. The submersible was entertaining...kids would love it. We took a bus trip into the interior of the Island. The guide gives you a history lesson along the way and we got to see the buffalo.

Wandered along the boardwalk until we found a place with seaside dining and had a great dinner, then walked up and down the streets looking at the houses the took the last ferry back.

As far as fireworks go, I read in the Los Angeles Times this morning that, sadly, they cancelled their big fireworks show off the back of the Queen Mary. Apparently the police and fire department has some kind of dispute with the people who put on the show. It's a shame. It was a good show. Maybe they'll reconsider...

Have a great trip!

Catalina is a fun place to visit. A tip, especially if you get motion sick like I do, take the fastest ferry over (can't remember the name). Some are much slower than others and you can easily be sick by the time you get there.

My family, including the adults, love Disneyland! You can also visit the Downtown Disney area at night. It has a movie theatre, sports bars, clubs, stores, restaurants. Fun!

I have lived in Orange County all of my life. For many years, we have gone to San Clemente beach to watch the fireworks over the water on the 4th. They have an amazing display and everyone we take always says it was the best they've seen. It get crowded near nighttime, so get there early and enjoy the beach first.

Archived