Sheraton or RIU Paradise Island for the Day

kcparrothead

I am looking at two on-line independent excursions that we could book in advance for June. One is for the Sheraton ($60) which includes lunch & 2 non-alcoholic drinks & use of all facilities from 8:30 to 5pm. The other one is for the RIU Cabbage Beach. It's $75 but includes "buffets throughout the day" and the alcoholic drinks are all-inclusive & we would also have use of all facilities there. We would probably get our money's worth for that extra $15. Hours are 9 to 5.

I am torn between the two because I have been to Cabbage Beach on both my times to Nassau. The water is beautiful there, but in Sept. extremely rough waters. I'm assuming it would probably be better in June.

I'm interested in the Sheraton because I've never been to Cable Beach, but is it really nicer than Cabbage??

I am looking at two on-line independent excursions that we could book in advance for June. One is for the Sheraton ($60) which includes lunch & 2 non-alcoholic drinks & use of all facilities from 8:30 to 5pm. The other one is for the RIU Cabbage Beach. It's $75 but includes "buffets throughout the day" and the alcoholic drinks are all-inclusive & we would also have use of all facilities there. We would probably get our money's worth for that extra $15. Hours are 9 to 5.

I am torn between the two because I have been to Cabbage Beach on both my times to Nassau. The water is beautiful there, but in Sept. extremely rough waters. I'm assuming it would probably be better in June.

I'm interested in the Sheraton because I've never been to Cable Beach, but is it really nicer than Cabbage??

For the $.. I think RUI would be my pic.. (if you drink at all...).

Keep in mind that the sheraton may be a construction zone by next June.. we don't know yet what the schedule will be fo ther revitalization project for Bahamar.

You might consider waiting until we get closer to your date to see how things progress. Each has it's pro's and con's.

Thanks! Would love to hear what you thought about RIU! We drink, so I know we'd get our money's worth. ;)

I'm leaning towards the RIU, but I keep thinking I should see another part of the island. Can you give me a comparison between the two beaches, Scubagirl?

Thanks! Would love to hear what you thought about RIU! We drink, so I know we'd get our money's worth. ;)

I'm leaning towards the RIU, but I keep thinking I should see another part of the island. Can you give me a comparison between the two beaches, Scubagirl?

Both beaches are lovely.. but the sheraton beach may be part of a construction zone by next summer.. we just don't know.

Right now, the difference is that cable beach is generally calmer and clearer (clearer because the waves don't bring up sand into the surf, not because of debris).

Cabbage Beach has a tendency to be more affected by weather.. and is much rougher.. more waves, and sometimes dangerous rip tides.

We also have had errosion problems in the spring these past 2 years from construction on Paradise Island...

Cable Beach, along the hotel row, is MY personal favorite.. I like to just bob in the wake and swim a little. Great views and some minor snorkeling

The areas not fronted by hotels can be unkept and somewhat dangerous, with rip tides and sink holes. Sanders beach was destroyed by Sandy

Cabbage is more exciting... and you get plenty of breaking waves.. not good for little ones, who could get swept away at the waters edge.

It's possible that RUI beach will disappear in the spring like last year.. then take months to come back with the tide. It's a natural occurance. Construction messed up mother nature.. so now she's fighting back.

there is really just no telling what will be happening to these beaches come next summer.

How about " love Beach" ?

Badly damages and eroded by Sandy.. even without the new issues.. it's not a great beach.. it's not maintained, used for late nite parties, so their's glass and debris.. and noone cleans it .. there are no amenities.. and no lifeguards.

Jaw's beach is in better shape.. but hard to get to without renting a car. It's out of the way and too far off the beaten track. Again, no amenities and no one in sight to help if you get caught in a rip tide.

I'd stick to the main beaches, hotel beaches etc.. unless you have a car and a full day to enjoy.

Badly damages and eroded by Sandy.. even without the new issues.. it's not a great beach.. it's not maintained, used for late nite parties, so their's glass and debris.. and noone cleans it .. there are no amenities.. and no lifeguards.

Jaw's beach is in better shape.. but hard to get to without renting a car. It's out of the way and too far off the beaten track. Again, no amenities and no one in sight to help if you get caught in a rip tide.

I'd stick to the main beaches, hotel beaches etc.. unless you have a car and a full day to enjoy.

How about Paradise Island Harbour Resort. Any opinion on that beach/resort?

How about Paradise Island Harbour Resort. Any opinion on that beach/resort?

This place is a dump.. there is no beach to speak of.. It's a spring break hotel that should be demolished.

please read the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Pool and jacuzzi are dirty, missing tiles, chairs so gummy you stick to them, very small property, small man made beach in the harbour surrounded by chain link which catches debris..

Food is decent. Drinks are not name brand, but plentiful.

If you're looking for a day of drinking and don't care about your surroundings.. this is the place. Otherwise.. try somewhere else.

Breezes and RIU are all inclusive.

Sheraton has a day pass.

Hilton is quiet and relaxing with a food voucher.

Thanks Scubagirrl,

I think we will try Caves Beach this time .so Can we walk to a hotel that has a day pass ? We will take the #10 bus to Caves from the cruise port then maybe hang out at a hotel . Any with water slides? We don't drink so all - inclusive doesn't matter. Do you know $ prices $ ??

Thanks again!

We were at the RIU last week and have a great time. They serve Kalik beer at the swim up bar. I would go with the drinks, 2 drinks wouldn't last us very long.

Thanks! We are leaning towards RIU and we like Kalik! Oh, and the Sheraton package deal drinks are NON-alcoholic! :p We do like Paradise Island because we can stop off at Green Parrot before we head back to the ship - love that bar!

Thanks Scubagirrl,

I think we will try Caves Beach this time .so Can we walk to a hotel that has a day pass ? We will take the #10 bus to Caves from the cruise port then maybe hang out at a hotel . Any with water slides? We don't drink so all - inclusive doesn't matter. Do you know $ prices $ ??

Thanks again!

From what I can tell, there are no hotels, no facilities at Cave Beach....

This place is a dump.. there is no beach to speak of.. It's a spring break hotel that should be demolished.

please read the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Pool and jacuzzi are dirty, missing tiles, chairs so gummy you stick to them, very small property, small man made beach in the harbour surrounded by chain link which catches debris..

Food is decent. Drinks are not name brand, but plentiful.

If you're looking for a day of drinking and don't care about your surroundings.. this is the place. Otherwise.. try somewhere else.

Breezes and RIU are all inclusive.

Sheraton has a day pass.

Hilton is quiet and relaxing with a food voucher.

Thank you so much! I love honesty! I do want to eat and have a few drinks but I'm not there for that, I really want to enjoy the day, the beach, the surroundings so that place won't fit for what I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from vacation, and we went to RIU on 12/12/12. I think for $75 we got our monies worth. The hotel was clean and the food at the buffet was really pretty good. They had plenty of chairs around the pool which was heated and had a bar. While there may have been some tiles missing from the pool, it was clean and heated. The staff was great. We did not get to use the bathrooms poolside as they were painting them, but the bathrooms off the hotel lobby were immaculate.

The beach was very nice. It was clean and had plenty of chairs. You can (for a price) jet ski, parasail, or be towed on a banana float behind a boat.

Four of us took a cab from the pier for $4/pp. There were plenty of cabs at the hotel when we were ready to head pack to the pier.

Many people on the cruise did the ship's tours to Atlantis, etc. for a lot more money. I liked RIU and would visit again if I was in Nassau.

Thanks Scubagirrl,

Thanks again!

Sorry for the delay..

Caves Beach is an out of the way beach.. pretty far from anything. It's a rocky beach as well.. No amenities except a hot dog cart on the roadsidde.

It's close to the road, so you can easily hop back on the jitney and head whereever you want to. I would suggest the sheraton. $30pp.

Be aware that most "off the beaten path" beaches are heavy with rocky (coral) shorelines. Not easy on the feet, and if there is a current that day, can be dangerous. Swimming without a lifeguard is not recommended..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived