Very Long Review of Pride of America Nov 8-18, 2012

hill6

Saturday, November 10th. Embarkation Day. After our breakfast at McDonalds we headed over to Pearl Harbor for our 10:30 tour of the Arizona Memorial. We got there a little after 9 to pick up our tour tickets. They said that they had spots available for the 9:30 tour so we got right on that. Be sure to get the audio tour as it helps enhance the experience. You see a short film before boarding the tender to the memorial. The Memorial covers the hull of the ship and the oil that floats to the surface are the ship’s tears, it was very sad. If you are interested in buying souvenirs from here be sure to look in the coupons books. We got a free newspaper about the attack at Pearl Harbor for spending over a certain amount.

8239990196_0d593d7b42.jpg

8239989960_98594752be.jpg

8238922371_2f951b281c.jpg

USS Missouri

8239988030_6784741390.jpg

8238919483_d6bc6b8f19.jpg

Tears of Oil that still rise from the Arizona

After departing the Memorial we went to the Thrifty Waikiki location to return the rental car. Not a good thing. Prior cruisers have reported constant shuttles to the ship. Well they have one shuttle and it runs hourly. We had just missed it. Rather than waiting an hour for the next shuttle, we took a cab to the ship. The cost was $24 after tip. The cab driver dropped us at the far end of the building and we had our bags taken almost immediately. We did pass a huge line of folks turning in their bags. We got lucky and missed that. We went through security and filled out a health questionnaire. After receiving our leis, and our embarkation photo we stood in a short line to finish the check in process. In the terminal they had the comedian, Tim Kaminski greeting guests and they had a server there with the menus from the pay restaurants. The waiter recommended Little Italy at 5:30/5:45 pm on Friday to view the NaPali Coast sail by. We took his recommendation and booked an outside table as soon as we boarded. The staterooms were not ready so we went to eat lunch in the Skyline dining room as it is open for lunch on embarkation day and we didn’t have schlep our carryon bags around the buffet. We were almost finished with lunch when they announced the cabins on Deck 9 were ready.

The cabin was very small compared to Carnivals, but we had a huge aft balcony that I think was almost the same size as the cabin. There were baskets in the closet, two deep drawers and two regular drawers to put clothes in. Only one closet compared to two on Carnival but we had no problems fitting all our stuff and we had more clothes packed for this trip than any of our prior cruises. The cabin does have a real refrigerator not a cooler like Carnival. NCL wins on that one. The shower did have three shelves in it. Carnival’s only have one if I remember correctly. We explored the ship and loved the live entertainment up on the Lido Deck. Carnival stopped this a few years ago - Another thumbs up for NCL. Our cabin steward was Wilmer and he was tremendous. Our cabin was spotless. He said hello to us when he seen us and he even opened our door when our hands were full. He received a nice additional tip at the end of the week.

One area that NCL wins hands down is the ship’s library. It was like a library in a fancy house. The books were in some very nice wooden cabinets, nice comfy chairs to read in. There was a huge selection of books. The library’s books were available at several times during the day. The also had some cabinets that were open at any time which contained books that guests have left behind. Very nice to know that they were not discarded. Carnival’s library I think is open an hour a day and the Internet café shares the same space. Not a very cozy library space for them.

My mother surprised us by giving us the Ultimate Romance Package. We had roses, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, 2 – 25 minute massages, tea service, Hors d’ oeuvres, breakfast in bed, dinner in Lazy J’s steakhouse, dinner in Jefferson’s Bistro, and a free photo. Thank you very much Mom! We spent a bunch of time trying to book the dining and massages around our busy schedule. We did manage to fit them all in during the week. Thank you again Mom. What a great surprise.

8238918539_ff23b5a658.jpg

8238917401_a52ab7bc64.jpg

Aft Balcony Cabin 9202 - It was huge

8239984664_900fbe02d4.jpg

8239981540_0015a5cde4.jpg

Kid's eating area at the Buffet. They even had a kid size buffet area.

I will post photos of the cabin later on. I haven't uploaded all my pictures yet.

After a painless muster drill in the Dining Room, we went to the Lanai Bar on Deck 13 for the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. We had 20 folks sign up to attend but only 12 showed up.

8238913429_2f69f1c6af.jpg

They served Mimosas and champagne free of charge (awesome). A number of the ship’s officers were there. They explained what their rolls were on the ship and said that we would receive an invitation to show up for an end of cruise comment session. We did see a number of them during the week and they said hi and asked how the cruise was going. They showed genuine care and concern about how things were on the ship. Two of the folks that we ran into all week long were the cruise director and bar manager. My husband told the Bar Manager that the coffee bar which was part of the main lobby bar ended up with long waits at times to get a latte. They made notes of that and talked at the end of the week of adding another bartender/barista at certain times to handle the crowds (around 8 pm after dinner and between shows). They did offer him free lattes for having to wait. He greatly appreciated that. The lobby bar area also had free coffee and tea available for free at all times - Very nice touch.

We had dinner that night in the Skyline Dining room. This was one of the two nights that we ate there. We were sat with an elderly lady and her niece. The service seemed a bit slow (DH said it was fine so it may have just been me). The Mahi Mahi I had was a bit dry but the meal overall was very good.

The seas most nights were quite rocky and I had to wear my sea bands once. The crew explained at the end of the week that the rocking comes from going slow between the ports. The stabilizers work better at high speeds. The night we went from Kona to Kauai we were going faster and the ride was a lot smoother.

8239981164_dca50bbc82.jpg

Lobby staircase - reminds me of staircase to nowhere in Haunted Mansion at Disney World.

8239980692_370a2cfb21.jpg

8239980498_8d0c15ac0c.jpg

8239980300_eded508997.jpg

These flowers are real.

Good review. Do you remember what time the shuttle departed? On the hour? Half past? We will be doing this in Jan, and there is no sense in rushing to get back, if I will have to be sitting for 45 minutes,waitng for the shuttle. So if we have an idea as to when to arrive, it would make things easier. Thanks

Good review. Do you remember what time the shuttle departed? On the hour? Half past? We will be doing this in Jan, and there is no sense in rushing to get back, if I will have to be sitting for 45 minutes,waitng for the shuttle. So if we have an idea as to when to arrive, it would make things easier. Thanks

It departs on the hour. We returned the car at 12:10.

Sunday, November 11th. Kahului, Maui. We had almost two days in Maui and we made the most of them. We were up very early (our bodies still thought we were in NJ and we were up multiple times during the night for most of the trip). We ate breakfast in the buffet (ate there every day but one). The food was good and quick. We did not eat in the dining room at all for breakfast. Right next to the buffet area is the Gold Rush Saloon, we sat in there every day as there were TVs there playing ESPN but on this morning there were the pre shows for football.

8255040984_ceb24b4b88.jpg

8253967805_0bb7fab0dc.jpg

8253967661_bdee03db82.jpg

After breakfast we got off the ship and almost immediately caught the shuttle to the Thrifty car rental at the airport and we were on our way to Haleakala. Our rental car was a Ford Fusion.

Let me stop right here and let you know that we had a back pack with us each day that had a GPS, first aid kit, snacks, umbrellas, suntan lotion etc. I also had a folder divided out with our maps, tour info and directions for the day. We also brought our coats when needed. Sounds crazy, but it is awful cold at the top of a 10,000 foot volcano. We also brought a soft sided cooler bag with us. We used gallon size Ziploc bags that we filled up with ice (double bagged). We got the ice from a bar each day. They would put the ice in glasses and I would put in the bag. It worked great. The gift shop on the ship has snacks and drinks available and they were open when in port (unlike other ships). There are also a number of stores in each port to stock up on stuff too.

After getting our car, DH drove to Haleakala. We got in for free as it was Veteran’s Day weekend. There are a number of lookouts to stop at along the way to stop and look. The views are amazing as you drive up, but don’t take your eyes off the road. There are very few guardrails and lots of switchbacks and bikers. DH is not a fan of heights and he did not enjoy the drive. It takes nearly two hours to drive the 37 miles to get all the way to the top at 10,023 feet. The view is amazing. You are above the clouds. There is a gift shop at the Visitor Center and another one at the top.

8238911925_4f3271bc90.jpg

8238912215_c509399c06.jpg

8238911019_7f15eab18f.jpg

8238910167_4ab332dabc.jpg

Even with the clouds

8239977184_414fa50b60.jpg

On the way down we stopped at Kula Lodge for lunch on the side of the volcano (about 3,000 feet if I remember correctly). I had Maui Onion soup and we shared a Maui Onion pizza. They make the pizza fresh in their outdoor pizza oven. We sat outside and enjoyed the view down the side of the volcano.

8239972780_84c3ce578a.jpg

8238903771_f049c6d5e5.jpg

8238904577_5d26eb5fbb.jpg

Our lunch cooking.

8239971494_89bd6d97b3.jpg

Beautiful view of Maui from the outdoor tables.

We did all this and it wasn't even 1:30 yet. The day was far from over. From here we headed over to Lahaina.

Update on the credit from Aston Beach Tower for the mechanical issues. There was no credit on my credit card statement. I called and the manager got back to me today. They went back through their maintenance records and seen what I spoke to her about. They credited back one night of our two night stay. Awesome.

I would not have cared or called except the issue was not fixed the first time and then we were displaced for quite a while it was jerry rigged to fix for the night.

Update on the credit from Aston Beach Tower for the mechanical issues. There was no credit on my credit card statement. I called and the manager got back to me today. They went back through their maintenance records and seen what I spoke to her about. They credited back one night of our two night stay. Awesome.

I would not have cared or called except the issue was not fixed the first time and then we were displaced for quite a while it was jerry rigged to fix for the night.

Sweet! Don't you love it when this happens?

The Hertz manager gave us the 2nd day of our car rental on Maui because the shuttle driver didn't stop at the pier and we waited over an hour. Made it all worth it!

I am loving your review! Thanks!!

Sweet! Don't you love it when this happens?

The Hertz manager gave us the 2nd day of our car rental on Maui because the shuttle driver didn't stop at the pier and we waited over an hour. Made it all worth it!

I am loving your review! Thanks!!

I am thrilled. But I didn't expect that much of a credit. DH was very happy too.

Sorry that you had a issue with Hertz.

All I can is that things happen and we don't let them ruin our vacations.

From there we drove over to Lahaina.

8238902925_3e8324c0e3.jpg

We had reservations that night for the Old Lahaina Luau. We stopped at the Hard Rock Café there for a snack, drinks and some football before walking around Front Street. There was a Celebrity Cruise Ship and a Navy Destroyer out in the water.

8239969742_dcb5962fd3.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8239969410_8b7dbc3a3b.jpg

We saw the huge banyan tree there it covers an entire block. Banyan trees are all over the island. They grow downward and take root where the “branches” touch the ground. The luau was fantastic.

8238901933_506d4e46dd.jpg

Old Lahaina Luau. I had booked the luau very early and we had a regular table right against the stone wall. Our view was not obstructed in any way.

8239968668_a8a3e646b9.jpg

We were given Mai Tais upon arrival and all food and drink were included in the price. The sunset along the water was priceless.

8239966836_c2cb572b36.jpg

8239967110_5745dddf29.jpg

8238898181_dc5681e527.jpg

We watched them unearth the Imu (pig). The meal is served buffet style and the food was very good. No complaints. Dessert was placed on the table family style. There was one of each item for everyone at the table. I only had two of them and they were very good as well. After the luau was over we drove about 40 minutes back and dropped off the rental car. Thrifty now runs their shuttle till 10 pm back to the ship. It used to be 9 pm. We were back on board around 9:15. We went to bed right after getting back on board as we had to be up at 5:30 am for the Road to Hana Tour through the ship.

Archived