Avignon and Aix en Provence - logistics

dalgirl

I realized that I had hijacked Hank's Italian rental car thread (sorry Hank!) when I should be asking this on the France board.

We want to travel to Avignon and Aix en Provence on our stop in Marseille. There will be three of us. Having rented cars in France before I know that it will be between $100 and $200 once you add in the insurance, etc. and that we will have to get to the rental office (cab??). The train, I understand, can also very pricey and logistically difficult to navigate from station to city.

The cruiseline has a "tour" for $89 each - and according to the reviews is mostly on your own - which we defintely prefer. I hate big bus guided tours, but if it is basically only for transportation, I am fine with that.

Any pros and cons that we should consider? Have you rented the car, taken the train, or taken a ship excursion and would you do this again?

Any input in making a decision will be helpful!

We looked at doing it on our own via train during our Med cruise last summer...the Port of Call was Marseilles.

Found that the TGV train ride out to Avignon was attractive outbound, but almost twice the price back to the ship. Schedules seemed pretty easy to manage.

Finally went with a ship tour for which we used a 20% discount coupon code. Got to see Avignon + wine tasting visit in Chateauneuf-du-Pape for less money than cab + train fare only for 2 people. It was a good choice for us.

Didn't do it from Marseille, but did take an "on your own" from Toulon to Aix-en-Provence. Mainly because of logistics as we normally like to do DIY or private tours. We chose the 1/2 day tour since it was our last port stop and we had to pack to disembark the next day.

As you observed, it was basically a bus ride to and from with a little history and information thrown in during the ride to Aix.

Once in Aix they told us a time and told us to meet back where they left us off to go back. Then the guide began a "short" tour to show us a few things but dh and I left the group and wandered on our own. It was really nice and we found a wonderful little antique store, a musty French bookstore, a deserted church with the organist practicing for Sunday service, a gourmet pastry shop (YUM) and a wonderful store with gourmet cooking items and cookbooks. We then made our way back to the main boulevard. There was a lively Christmas market all along the boulevard so did some shopping. We had a coffee and crepe outside at a charming cafe and finally a stop at a famous candy store.

It was a perfect day.

Thanks for the response. I talked over the situation with DH and since he would be doing the rental car driving, and the logistics with taking bus or cab too train station, paying for the train, and only going to either Avignon or Aix depending on time constraints, I think the ships transportation (I won't really call it a "tour") will be the easiest route.

thanks again for your input!

Archived