La Romana without an excursion

KTRuby

I guess we're in the minority, but we LOVE the DR. We have been to Samana twice and La Romana once. The DR is not as developed as most of the other islands, but it is the way the Caribbean used to be. It is absolutely gorgeous if you get away from the port areas. The beaches are stunning and uncrowded. The people are very warm and friendly but poor and can be quite aggressive in pursuing tourist dollars. I do understand why some people are intimidated or turned off.

That being said, I don't think I'd go off on my own, but I'd definitely book an excursion or take the bus to Altos de Chavon, a replica artist village. Casa de Campo is a private resort where Altos de Chavon is located. There are horseback riding and beaches and restaurants here. We visited a cafe and had Dominican coffee and pastry - delicious! We loved Altos de Chavon as well. It's a good place to spend a morning or afternoon.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!

Another fun activity is the Paddle Board Surfari (stand up paddle boarding) offered by Bayahibe SUP. They will arrange transport for you from the port to their base in Bayahibe (where Seavis is). Their Surfari is 2hours long so you'll have time to take lunch and explore the pretty fishing village before going back to port. http://bayahibesup.com/

More tours with reviews on Trip Advisor are listed under the Activities tab http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g663484-Activities-Bayahibe_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Have fun!

Archived