Beginners dive Caymans or Roatan?!

yng.cruzan.cple

My Fiance is certified to dive but I am not so I'm hoping to do a begginers dive on our cruise in January but I can't decide between Roatan or Grand Cayman. I am wondering which one has the better colors and most fish. Any information on either of these places is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

I can't speak for Caymans but my dad did the beginner dive excursion in Roatan last September. He LOVED it and is still talking about it. I believe he is looking to get certified before his next cruise. I know he highly recommends it and can't wait to go again.

I too was faced with this dilimia. I ultimately decided on Rotana because I couldn't find anything else we would like to do tere. We leave Sunday for our cruise and I will be sure to take lots of pictures, and update when we return.

I too was faced with this dilimia. I ultimately decided on Rotana because I couldn't find anything else we would like to do tere. We leave Sunday for our cruise and I will be sure to take lots of pictures, and update when we return.

Perfect!! Thank you so much, I look forward to seeing them! What excursion company did you go through?

Perfect!! Thank you so much, I look forward to seeing them! What excursion company did you go through?

I am not a diver but have been to both places many times ,our last cruise we were at Tabyana beach in Roatan at about waist high water and we saw so many beautiful fish from purple fish to like 6 inch angel fish.You will love Roatan ,its our favorite place in the world.We love the Cayman Islands too but it will seem like you are in the US.

Have not been to the Caymans but spent 2 weeks on Roatan and they know diving. My daughter and husband got certified through Bananarama dive shop and had an excellent experience. Also the snorkeling from West Bay Beach is exceptional.

We actually discovered Roatan on the Dream 2 years ago and loved it so much we went back last year.

Going on the freedom this year so will get to see Grand cayman

Have not been to the Caymans but spent 2 weeks on Roatan and they know diving. My daughter and husband got certified through Bananarama dive shop and had an excellent experience. Also the snorkeling from West Bay Beach is exceptional.

We actually discovered Roatan on the Dream 2 years ago and loved it so much we went back last year.

Going on the freedom this year so will get to see Grand cayman

We love Bananrama too and west bay beach (tabyana beach)

Did you go to the west end village.If I were a diver thats where I would have been.Our tour guide took us their and it looks like a divers paradise

Thank you for this! Can I ask why you prefer Roatan?

Sure. I found that the reefs in Roatan were much better (larger, better formed with more life on them) and the prices for the dive shops were better as well. Not to mention, the reefs are just offshore making it a 5 minute boat ride instead of the average 20 to 30 minute boat ride for most offshore reefs. In addition, there are some nice wrecks just offshore if you're interested in that as well. In addition, the Caymans offer more to do topside than Roatan does. Even though Roatan is quickly becoming more built up now that cruise lines are regularly going there, there is still not a lot of options topside especially when compared to the Caymans. Furthermore, there are a ton of dive shops in Roatan since it is so popular for diving so you will have a lot of options for diving as well as finding an Intro to Scuba course. Good luck, dive safe and most importantly, have fun!

My suggestion is to dive at the first stop you can. There almost is no such thing as a bad place... there's only good and better. If you love it, then you can get to do it again on the cruise. If not, then you can do something else at the remaining stops. (When my cruises go to Grand Cayman and Roatan, I dive both... Cozumel too if I get a chance.)

An alternate suggestion is to get certified before you go. It normally only takes a few week-ends.

So many islands to dive on... so little time.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

I assume you are doing the Western Caribbean. We usually dive 3 of the 4 stops including Roatan and Grand Cayman. I suggest diving on the first stop if possible as suggested above. We usually do a shore dive on GC at Sunset House a short distance from the tender docks. It is a resort so does offer the intro scuba course. It might be cheaper that way. The best price might still be on Roatan though...............as most all prices are lower there.

Archived