Departing from Quebec City or Montreal

We're trying to decide which city to depart from to return home after our cruise. The cruise ends in Quebec City which requires two connections to get home. I'm wondering if transportation to Montreal from there is expensive? The airfare is a little more expensive, but you can get a flight with only one stop on the way home. Any input would be appreciated. We'll be on the Princess Emerald at the end of September. Thanks

We are doing the reverse trip,but also needed transportation between the two cities. Taking the train seems to be the best option. Only about $30 per person, and the Quebec City train station looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it!

The train is much more comfortable. The trip takes a little less than 3 hours (to downtown Montreal). There is a seat sale going on for $29, one way. The regular fare is $81, and there are discounted fare that starts at $60. Business class, which includes a meal with wine, starts at $90. VIA's web site is: <http://www.viarail.ca/en>.

Travel from YQB to almost any destination requires a stop in Montreal. The train is my preferred travel mode between Quebec and Montreal, and I'd endorse the idea of business class. The train station in Quebec is not that far from the cruise terminal. The station in Montreal is quite a way from the international airport (YUL) but the airport is served by a commuter train to Dorval (and beyond) from downtown Montreal. I've not got off it at the airport but the station looks as if you'd have to be comfortable with a walk to the terminal. Maybe someone else knows.

My preferred way to go from Montreal's Central Station (where the train from Quebec terminates) is to take the #747 bus. It is a special city bus that goes to the airport. It runs along Rene Levesque, which passes right near Central Station. The bus fare is $8. Moreover, you can buy a day pass for the same amount of $8, and the day pass is good for the #747 bus too. The #747 buses are specially configured with luggage racks, but you do have to carry your luggage on and off the bus.

The other option is to take a taxi from Central station to the airport. I believe going to the airport is a flat rate for most of the downtown, and is about $40.

During rush hour, the bus takes some unusual route to the airport, which by-passes most of the traffic. Sometimes, it is faster than even a taxi.

I would rule out taking the commuter train from downtown to the airport. First, in downtown, it goes out of a different train station and there is a good 10 minutes walk between the two stations. Second, in Dorval, you have to take a normal city bus (for one stop, I believe) to go from the train station to the airport. This bus has no luggage racks. Walking from the commuter train station to the airport may not be safe with all the traffic and construction going on.

Archived