Stingray City and Sunsethouse or Cemetery Reef possible ?

hcor1234

Hello

My gf and I arrive in GC 12/13 at 7:00am. She wants to see Stingray City and I want to snorkel, I've already seen Stingray City. How long do the Stingray City tours last ? Whats the shortest ? I was thinking about walking off the pier taking one of the cheaper Stingray City trips, coming back and then walking to or getting a taxi to Sunsethouse, Eden Rock or Cemetery Reef to snorkel. Anyone know if this is possible ? Or not enough time. Ship leaves at 4:00. Thanks

I wish a tour company would take people out to Cemetary reef, you would have to take a bus or taxi there. I think it is about 1/2 hour bus ride from port, the trick is getting back on time. Singray City tours are usually the least two hours. I believe Eden Rock is right next to the port, when I did that years ago it was very deep, nice clear but not up close and personal, 30 feet and further. The snorkeling part of stingray city tours are not so good anymore from all those tourists.

I've been to G Cayman MANY times since the mid 80's - cruise ships, week long dive trips, and work

IMO you are planning to do too much. Ship leaves at 4 means last tender is well b4 that time.

All the stingray city tours are gonna be about the same length unless they couple something with it - like a sep' snorkel stop . . . pp says that snork' is not good. Probably based on one experience. But I can not argue cuz I've never even gone to SR City. I dive Sunset . . . and have dozens of dives there.

IF you get back from a stingray trip early enuf, as pp has mentioned, Eden Rock is a short walk from the tender landing. The depth you see at Eden is very similar to what you'd see at Sunset ... they are on the same section of reef, Sunset is just a mile south of Eden. The water is very clear when conditions are right ... which happens more often than not. IMO you do not have time to go to either other place (sunset or cem') because of distance.

Most folks do one excursion (str-city) then a lil' lunch and shopping in town. GC is one of the few islands where you can still find a bargain on a watch or other pricey things IF YOU KNOW YOUR PRICES . . . and you can walk around town without getting hassled by street vendors.

Love handles separations ... she could do StingRays and you snorkel Eden or Sunset and meet for a little shopping and lunch. For the first 10 years of my marriage I was deployed about half the time. Separation makes the heart grow fonder . . .

OTOH if there is love you go with her and enjoy watching her experience something she's excited about. If you miss doing something you wanted to do, that's called marriage. Eventually you will sit in a small uncomfortable chair, missing football games on TV, while your wife tries on bras complaining that they discontinued the ONLY one she liked.

Most Sting Ray City Sand Bar + Snorkel Stop tours are between 2.5 - 3 hours. The snorkeling is better at the "Barrier Reef" vs "Coral Gardens", so if you have the choice between tours and like to snorkel, opt for one that includes the "Barrier Reef". If you take an early tour you should have plenty of time to snorkel Cemetery or Eden Rock and still catch a 3:30 tender. As others have stated, Eden Rock is literally in the same bay as the tender area, so if you'd have no problems catching your tender. Cemetery Beach is about 20 minutes from port (that is factoring in any congestion near George Town) and you'd need to catch a taxi or flag down a mini-bus.

Archived