Info for those sailing out of NOLA on 2/24/13 and ?? for locals

kwbound

We are on the NCL Star out of NOLA on 2/24. I believe that the Conquest also sails that day. We usually like to get to the port between 10:30 and 11 so that we can get on board as as possible. That morning there is a large marathon race (20,000+ people) that starts on Poydras street, goes down St. Charles and back to Peters, through the FQ and out to City Park. Several streets in the convention center/port area will be closed that morning, including Poydras, Canal, etc. I can forsee there being a lot of traffic problems both for people trying to exit the port and those trying to get to it. Here is the website for the event showing the race course and road closures.

We are driving in from Houston on Sat morning and plan on using the Fulton St garage while we are cruising. We're staying Sat night at the Sheraton on Canal. Right now we are considering two options:

1. Park the car at Fulton garage Sat evening. Leave our luggage in the car except for an overnight bag and walk to the Sheraton. It looks like it is about a mile, and that is fine. Then in the morning, walk back to Fulton garage, get our luggage and take their shuttle to the port. OR...

2. Park Sat night at the hotel and wait until 12 or 1 to get our car and drive over to Fulton St, after the race course has cleared.

Any opinions from NOLA locals, or people more familiar with the area than me, as to which option would be best? Or would there be a better way that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for the help!

Donna

We are also leaving that day on the Conquest. Not many hotels left to choose from in NO. We were also worried about traffic/road closures so we ended up booking Quality Inn and Suites in Gretna. (Not our first choice but given the situation.....)We can leave our car there for the week and they will shuttle us to and from the port.

However, to answer your question, I would park my car at the Fulton st garage Saturday night and walk. I wouldn't want to deal with that mess on Sunday.

Good Luck! :D

Thanks for the replies. Option 1 is the one we are leaning towards. It would just feel weird to not try and get on board as early as possible! We did the Conquest last year and stayed at the Holiday Day Inn - French Quarter and used their Park & Cruise deal. But they are sold out this year. I just got the Sheraton on Hotwire last weekend.

We will be getting off the Star that day. Any suggestions on the easiest way to get out of town from the Fulton Street garage?

I don't know. If the Pontchartrain Expressway goes over St. Charles and Magazine Streets, and if you can get on it before Magazine, that might be the best way. But idk if it goes over those streets. You can't tell from the course map. If it crosses them, it looks like it will be difficult to get out of that area before 11-12. I hope I'm worrying for nothing.

The Pontchartrain Expy goes over St. Charles, so I don't think you will have any problems, but ask the people at Fulton to make sure. These races cause big-time traffic problems, but, as with all the Mardi Gras parades, they design the course so that people can get in and out of the CBD area.

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying back home that Sunday and staying at the Marriott Convention Center. Was thinking about switching to a 9:00 am flight but now not so sure. Will the race impact the route to the airport from the Marriott? How long will it take to get to the airport via taxi? Thanks for any advice!

Archived