Just got a new K-5

Just got my new Pentax K-5 this week for a great price. I've been looking for a while at it, and with the release of the k-5IIs (largely the same camera with improved autofocus) the price took a big drop and I jumped on it.

I am really impressed with the camera thus far. The image quality at high ISO is unreal and the overall ergonomics and controls of the camera are just about ideal.

I know most everyone in the DSLR world is a Canon or Nikon user but I opted to start out with Pentax in 2007 with a K10D and have since invested in lenses, flashes, etc. I am now sort of a permanent Pentaxian. Unless of course I want to invest thousands in a Nikon or Canon system.

I have given thought before to going the route of Canon or Nikon simply for the availability of additional lenses and accessories. I pretty much have to order anything Pentax online. However, I don't think Canon and Nikon produce anything close to the K-5 at the price I paid for it. There are some things that Pentax is behind on (video fuction for example) but the overall image quality and build of this camera are unbeatable. Anyone that is considering this camera won't be disappointed in it.

I'm not sure what the whole idea of this post was...I'm just really excited about my new camera and was hoping to share my excitement with others that like my two favorite things... Cruises and cameras!!

• 2 weeks later...
I shared your post with my husband, an avid Pentax user (but he doesn't frequent these forums).

Here's his two cents:
"Offer my congrats and a recommendation to visit PentaxForums at [url]http://www.pentaxforums.com/[/url]
A very useful source of information."

[quote name='Catocop']I shared your post with my husband, an avid Pentax user (but he doesn't frequent these forums).

Here's his two cents:
"Offer my congrats and a recommendation to visit PentaxForums at [URL]http://www.pentaxforums.com/[/URL]
A very useful source of information."[/quote]

Pentax users are a different breed... a more intelligent and well informed one I like to think ;)

I will have to check the forum out. Thank you very much for the tip. I used to frequent the pentax groups on flickr, but I haven't hit them up in a while.

[quote name='WillWorkForCruise121']Just got my new Pentax K-5 this week for a great price. I've been looking for a while at it, and with the release of the k-5IIs (largely the same camera with improved autofocus) the price took a big drop and I jumped on it.

I am really impressed with the camera thus far. The image quality at high ISO is unreal and the overall ergonomics and controls of the camera are just about ideal.

I know most everyone in the DSLR world is a Canon or Nikon user but I opted to start out with Pentax in 2007 with a K10D and have since invested in lenses, flashes, etc. I am now sort of a permanent Pentaxian. Unless of course I want to invest thousands in a Nikon or Canon system.

I have given thought before to going the route of Canon or Nikon simply for the availability of additional lenses and accessories. I pretty much have to order anything Pentax online. However, I don't think Canon and Nikon produce anything close to the K-5 at the price I paid for it. There are some things that Pentax is behind on (video fuction for example) but the overall image quality and build of this camera are unbeatable. Anyone that is considering this camera won't be disappointed in it.

I'm not sure what the whole idea of this post was...I'm just really excited about my new camera and was hoping to share my excitement with others that like my two favorite things... Cruises and cameras!![/QUOTE]

The Canikon world always seems to cringe when I say that none of the majors makes a bad camera and when it comes right down to it, 99% of camera buyers can satisfy all of their lens and accessory needs with any brand (with some third-party help). It all boils down to what works for you. I've shot with Minolta and later Sony for decades and never felt deprived of options. The K5 uses the same excellent 16MP Sony sensor found in the Alpha SLT, NEX and Nikon models and has excellent weatherproofing as standout features. I can't imagine why you wouldn't be thrilled to own it and use it!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Congrats on the new K5. I have been a Pentax Shooter for almost 40 years, and although I have been tempted to make the jump to other brands - I keep finding that Pentax offers what I need at a price that I like - so I keep investing in them - most recently a K7 :-)

The forum mentioned below is great with a lot of varied topics - browse and enjoy!

Make sure you share some of your shots with this group! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm.

[quote name='Catocop']I shared your post with my husband, an avid Pentax user (but he doesn't frequent these forums).

Here's his two cents:
"Offer my congrats and a recommendation to visit PentaxForums at [URL]http://www.pentaxforums.com/[/URL]
A very useful source of information."[/quote]

Archived