Which side of the ship?

Hi,

We are looking at booking a 20 Day South America and Antarctic Explorer Holiday for 2006. The itinerary we are interested in cruises from Rio De Janeiro to Valparaiso, aboard Holland America's Rotterdam. It sounds like an amazing ship and itinerary.

Anyway, we will probably book a Verandah Suite, and thus were wondering which side of the ship we should try to book.

It appears that for most of the trip being on the right or 'starboard' side would give the best land views most of the way, but what side of the ship is best for Antarctica? The Chilean Fijords? and the Glacier scenic cruising?

What side would you choose?

Thank you in advance

Hi Cruiser from Down Under,

I asked this question last year when I was trying to decide which side to book. We are also leaving from Rio and we were told to take Starboard. If you were going in the opposite direction Port was apparently the best side.

I know that one cannot have all the views all the time but from what I have read, when we get to Antarctica, the best place to view it is on deck, or up in the Crows Nest lounge. :)

When is the cruise you are thinking about? If it is over Christmas and New Year it should be fabulous. My sister and brother in law did it this year on the Amsterdam. They loved every minute of the trip.

Unfortunately we cannot be away over Christmas so that is the reason we have booked Princess instead of HAL. It was the next best itinerary to take as we wanted to leave from Rio.

Jennie

Down Under

Took this cruise last Dec/Jan from Rio to Santiago and starboard is the place to be. While I'm sure the verandah suite offers many creature comforts, you'll want to do most of your sightseeing and photography from the bow or the deck to obtain the best vantage points. Because of the sight lines and weather (much of it cold and windy), the verandah has very limited value. Have a great time; this is truly the cruise of a lifetime.

"While I'm sure the verandah suite offers many creature comforts, you'll want to do most of your sightseeing and photography from the bow or the deck to obtain the best vantage points. Because of the sight lines and weather (much of it cold and windy), the verandah has very limited value."

I disagree! We took much the same cruise in the opposite direction last December. We used the balcony just about every day. The scenery was just too beautiful to see it through glass. We had heavy parkas, gloves, hats, etc. and were as warm as toast while sitting on the balcony or walking around the deck. For most people, it is a once in a lifetime experience. Get out there and enjoy it!

Archived