Great new destination in Tauranga NZ

KiwiIan

Hi, This weekend a great new attraction opened here in Tauranga NZ. Its a museum dedicated to Classic Aircraft, preservation and flying. If any visitors to Tauranga are interested in aviation history then its a must do place to visit. Its just 5 minutes by car from the ship berth and just $10 entry fee.

The opening was a great event with 5 Harvards flying formation, 3 Yaks [again in formation] a Hawker Hunter jet doing some great low level 700mph runs 50ft above the ground and much more. The museum houses a real treasure trove of NZ flying memorabilia and its hoped to have many of the planes flying frequently so it will not just be a static display.

To crown it all my wife suprised me with a ticket for a 30 minute flight in the only Consolidated Cataliner flying boat in NZ [ i was on duty as we were running the limo service for the guest of Honour, Air Marshall John Hamilton RNZAF] and to be sitting in the bubble for landing was awesome. Also flying trips were a DC3 and a Dragon Rapide.

Their web site [ www.classicflyersNZ.com ] is still limited but if you want any more info let me know. I will have some pictures of the event on my web site soon.

:)

Archived