Hanging around the airport!

seagulls

We really do not want to drive to Ft Lauderdale in January for our cruise. US Air which is the cheapest has a great flight going out but the return times are awful. We have a choice of 10:45 am which is too scary for us or 6:30 pm. We did the 6:30 pm return before and had to sit in the airport from around 10:00 am in the morning until take off time. We had planned to drop off our luggage and do some sight seeing but the airlines would not take our bags until 2 hours before take off time and they would not allow you to leave them unattended. Anyone have ideas where we can park the bags?

Renting a car is cheap enough. Take the free shuttle at the port to get your car...and you will have transportation to get you around to the various places to visit.

OF

Look into a day room at the hotel closest to the airport.

Anyone have ideas where we can park the bags?

We had a flight out of Ft Lauderdale last Feb. We ran into the same problem with the luggage. After sitting there (in the lobby of the airport) with the bags, I had an idea.....let's see if we can check our luggage at the curb......We did this and they took it. So....when you get to the airport, just check your luggage at the curb. You'll need to have your id and confirmation ticket. With etickets, this isn't a problem.

GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for the advise but to tell you the truth we don't feel like hiring a car for half a day. It has just dawned on me that as we will be going down a day before the cruise perhaps the hotel where we stay would store our luggage for us for a few hours when we arrive back from the cruise. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. As for checking our luggage in at the curb I doubt if they would let us do it in this day and age. I wish that air fares would come down a bit because I think for the little hop, skip and a jump from Myrtle Beach to Fort Lauderdale is very overpriced and none of the discout airlines are flying the route at that time of year.

In the end we may just drive down. Last time we did it it was a wonderful drive except for the last hour when the traffic and reckless driving were horrendous. It is still vivid in my mind, sorry for complaining so much.

Fitters- you lucked out-- Unless this was done last year. Today you cant check bags before 3 hours before your flight.

We just did this last February. In fact, many people on our flight did it and we all went to the beach for the day.

Fitters- you lucked out-- Unless this was done last year. Today you cant check bags before 3 hours before your flight.

We did same thing in January, they took the bags at least 5 hours before curbside, just make sure to tip them

Yes, Feb of 2005.

They wouldnt take friends of ours. We sailed iN February but it was out of tampa. Friends had a 4pm flight and we got to the airport at 11. They guy showed themt he sign that says 3 hours time limit. did you tip before you handed him your tickets?

I also need to find something to do my return flight doesn't not leave until 8:40 p.m it's going to be boaring for me. Maybe i'll try to pack lightly so i can take my luggage with me on the plane and just sit at a bar and drink until my flight leaves just make sure i don't have to much so i'll still be allowed to fly. :)

Something to try is find a hotel that has a free airport shuttle, see if you can get a day rate, and then you can enjoy a swim and shower and freshen up before your flight home. We've done that before and its a great way to pass the time. They might not advertise a day rate, but all we did was ask. We had stayed there one night precruise and then coming home we had the same late flight situation so I asked about the day rate and the guy was cool and said he would just charge us 1/2 of our nightly rate.

Last April we had a late flight out of FLL. We booked a van and drove to (?) for an Airboat Ride. It was great! Saw aligators, went to a small aligator farm, got some history on the making of the waterways, etc. It was about 20 minutes away from the airport. I even went online and printed discount coupons. After that we stopped at the beach, had dinner, dropped off the van and didn't have to wait too long. A lot better than hanging at the airport with two young kids.

Hi, Just check your bags in lockers, not very expensive. Go to INFO desk at airport. There are brochures and the people tell you where you can go to kill a few hours. Take the bus, also not expensive Check out a mall, have lunch. By the time you kill a few hours, it will be almost time to board. I did not want to sightsee or rent a car. My flight was at 6pm. Now I am trying for the 12:30pm. If we miss that, I will be on standby for the 3pm flight. Once I sat in fll for 5 hrs. It was BORING!!!!!!!! never again.good luck

We did a tour with Carnival after our cruise out of New Orleans. They got us off the ship early and we had a nice tour. They kept the luggage on the bus while we did some walking. It was a pleasant way to use the time we had.

You can always go up to the ticket counter and check if there are any flights leaving sooner, works all the time, if you do get stuck till 6pm, its good to bring your laptop, most airports have free wifi, or wireless internet.

Archived