Bar Harbor - Lulu Lobsterboat?

txteacher

I will be in Bar Harbor on July 21 (Enchantment of the Seas).

Does anyone have experience with the Lulu Lobsterboat? I've made reservations, but it's certainly not too late to change my mind.

txteacher, eagerly looking forward to cool New England temps!

I want to thank you for alerting me to Lulu Lobsterboat. I have visited BH a few times and never knew it existed. I'm on vacation starting 6/18 at BH and will try to fit the excursion in.

Their site ( http://www.lululobsterboat.com/#SIGHTSEEING ) makes the trip seem very interesting.

If you don't get numerous replies, I'll post my experience when I get back.

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women................

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t think that I would be the only one to reply, but I did take the tour on 6/24 at 10:00 AM. I chose the morning tour because I thought the waters would be calmer in the morning (they were) before the afternoon winds could increase the chop. There were about 12 in the group. We left on time and headed south looking for seals.

As we headed south, Captain John talked about seals and lobsters while his First Mate steered. I was paying more attention to the scenery as we were maybe a mile off shore form Acadia National Park.

We soon reached our destination for the seal watch part of the tour: Egg Rock Light (http://www.cyberlights.com/lh/maine/eggrock.htm ), a very tiny island with a lighthouse where the seals hang out. Since there were mother seals with their pups, the Captain did not go in as close as he could; he didn’t want to frighten the pups. The Captain handed out el cheapo binoculars to those who wanted them; bring your own binoculars if you go. After about 15 minutes of viewing, we headed back to BH to where the Captain has his traps; and again I was enjoying the boat ride and the scenery.

After arriving at the trap area, the boat was slowed and a float snared. The lobster trap was hoisted aboard which did contain 2 lobsters and a few crabs. The Captain cleared the trap of the crabs because they are more of a nuisance than anything else. He then took a lobster and went into detail from their head to their tails. Answered all questions, put the lobsters back in the water (they were not legal size), re-baited the trap and over the side it went.

He then picked up another trap and cleared it of crabs. He then put the trap where all could see it and went into great detail on its construction and how it works. Since the crabs had eaten his bait, the trap was re-baited and over the side it went.

I enjoyed the tour and would recommend it for lobster fans. The scenery can’t be beat and the Captain’s talk on the seals and lobsters was very informative.

Heads Up: I have alerted you about the need for better binoculars; and now will warn you that the MV Lulu does not have a head for the passengers. You can use the toilet facilities before you depart at the motel where Lulu is docked.

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women..........

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

Archived