Carrying Luggage at the NYC Pier

CruisinPaul

I am traveling with a family of four out of NYC in June. Is it possible to carry on all luggage if we can without checking it with a proter. How difficult is it going throught he pier and check in process at the NYC pier with baggage in hand. Is there a lot of walking, escalators, etc. Jids are 18 and 21 so should be able to carry on their own luggage.

Thanks for your inputs - CRUISIN PAUL

It's much easier to just hand it off to the porter. Coming home- yes- carrying it yourself will save hassles because yestreday when we got back to port we had to wait in line for 30 minutes just to get a porter to help us.

When we got off the ship in New York it was a madhouse just trying to get a taxi. Had to get a ticket to be called. Better off handing your stuff over to a port to bring out for you and then just wait your turn to be called.

Going in we left with a porter and walked through the line to get in. The terminal doesn't have any second levels, just very long.

Is it possible to carry on all luggage if we can without checking it with a porter. How difficult is it going throught he pier and check in process at the NYC pier with baggage in hand. Is there a lot of walking, escalators, etc. Kids are 18 and 21 so should be able to carry on their own luggage.

Unless there's a real reason to do it, DON'T. It's easy and painless to give it to the porters, just like at the airport.

The distance from your car/taxi to the gangway is overwhelming, not to mention the lines, and the fact you will have to put it through the security scanners, only if it fits. And you can't take your luggage on the escalators.

And if you're put on the line that has to go up to that second level waiting area, you're screwed.

The elevators are hard to come by when you first board. And who wants a hernia at the start of a vacation.:confused:

Thanks Mr. Pete - someone else told me there wer no escalators and that it was all one level. Not true???

I guess I will have our luggage checked - wife is always worried about it not making it on the ship. We are the only ship sailing that day - Legend on 6/22 so hopefully it will make things easier.

How about getting off the ship - should we carry it oursleves.

Thanks

The pier is actually three levels.

There's the ground level. There's an elevator from the ground level to the second level. Some people get dropped off on this level from the street to avoid the traffic congestion in and out of the pier.

The second level is where you will be getting onto and off of the ship. This is where most people also get out of their transportation for drop off. This second level also has a mezanine waiting area, for those that get there too early. There are staircases on both sides, and they are never consistant in which sides you go up and come down. We only got it right once.

The third level is the parking area. There is an escalator from the third to the second level.

I usually drop luggage, DW, and DD off on the second level, and drive up to the third level to drop off the car. Then we Nextel each other till I find where she is on line.

Getting off, we take our luggage off. This way we used to beat the crowds. There's just too many people doing it these days, and I will have to rethink my plan of attack. Regardless, we take our luggage off, roll it to the curb on the second level, then I run up to the third level to get the car, drive down to the second level and pick up luggage and family, and drive home.

On 15+ cruises i have never had luggage lost or very late getting to my room.

I did have the airlines lose one, but it was on the boat before i checked in the next day.

I do still carry 1 bag but not to heavy or big.

On vacation let others do the work it's there job.

When we returned from our cruise, we were not allowed to carry our luggage up to the parking deck - DH had to go get the car while I waited street level with 3 kids and all the luggage. There's no elevator to the parking level, and they don't want you on the escalator with your luggage - worried about liability, from what I can gather. With three ships in port, it was a madhouse; I just stayed away from the curb with the younger two kids and the luggage, while oldest son stood by the curb to flag DH as he brought the car dow from the lot.

Archived