Passports Necessary On Shore Excursions?

I searched this board and got conflicting information.:D Do we need to take our passports with us when we go on ship-sponsored excursions in Belize, Mexico and Roatan? If we do have to have them with us, what do you do with them when you're snorkeling, tubing, etc. to keep them safe from theft and from getting wet?

I read somewhere in a thread here that the ship's passengers are granted a blanket visa for their time on shore, and no passport was necessary, only our ship ID. Then I read that we must have our passports on our persons at all times (rather difficult while swimming or tubing...) When travelling in Europe or Asia, it was easy. I always carried my passport with me. No beach time; no worries about the passport getting wet. In the Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas, I didn't carry it, and don't remember if the ship told us to carry it or not. So what's the real story? :D

Here is my understanding - You do not have to take your passport. A picture ID and you ship pass is all that is required.

But - should something happen and you don't make it back to the ship having your passport will make it a lot easier to get out of the country. Belize and Roatan require passports now for none cruise visitors. If you miss the ship in Roatan getting to Belize to rejoin the cruise could be a problem without your passport,

I take the middle ground and always have a photocopy of my passport with me. If it is lost or gets wet no problem.

We are just back from the Sea and the only thing we had to have at all ports were our photo id for those of us over 18 and our sign and sail card issued by the ship. Belize and Roatan turned out to be our favorite ports because we booked our excursions through private companies and not the ship. I was aprehensive with this being our 1st cruise, but now feel that is the best way to go. In Roatan we booked through Boddentours dot com, and did the canopy tour and several other things. In Belize we booked through coralbreeze dot com and did the cave tubing. It was half the price and we were in a group of 14, much smaller than through the ship. We had lunch, and bottled water, and a very nice guide named Carlos ( Speedy) Gonzales. We were back at the pier with plenty of time to spare in both ports. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, or email me directly at kdg1966@swbell.net

You should NEVER take your passport ashore on a cruise unless absolutely required (rarely to my knowledge). Make several photo-copies of your passport and take those ashore with you as your photo I.D. No problem if you lose the copies.

We also go with the photocopies. Are the photocopies 100% legal to use? Most likely not, but they will positively prove that you do have passports, provide all of the information from the passport, and hopefully make things easier if and when ever needed. We keep the originals in the safe.

Sorry, but I'm one of the ones who ALWAYS carries my passport. As ShoreGuy mentioned, what if something happens to you making it impossible to rejoin the cruise (an injury requiring a hospital stay for example)? Having just a photocopy of your passport will help expedite getting another passport but you will not be able to get to the airport and immediately fly either home or join the cruise at another port. If you are worried about it getting wet, several companies sell the small waterproof holders that you either tie around your waist or have a string attached that goes over your head. I've gone scuba diving and tubing with one and my passport, ship card, and driver's license have never gotten wet. Just MHO.

Kathy

I agree with you, Kathy. I always take my original passport and leave a photocopy in the cabin's safe. For a short cautionary tale concerning passports, check out Cotton's post on the following thread (post #10):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=179432

I think the possibility of losing your passport or having it stolen on a shore excursion is far more likely than missing the ship. On the slim possiblity you go to a hospital, a phone call to the ship will have somebody deliver your passport to the hospital. My passport stays in the safe.

I think the possibility of losing your passport or having it stolen on a shore excursion is far more likely than missing the ship. On the slim possiblity you go to a hospital, a phone call to the ship will have somebody deliver your passport to the hospital. My passport stays in the safe.

I think all of those possibilities are slim (losing the passport, having it stolen, missing the ship, and needing a hospital). I really have no sense of which is more likely than the other. None of them has ever happened to me and I haven't read enough reports of these incidents happening to others for me to gauge the probability. But I DO know that a photocopy of a passport is unacceptable for legal purposes. Everybody will need to decide for themselves which is the wiser course of action.

Archived