SUMMIT 1-28-05 CANCELED????????

JUST CRUZIN

LMKohler, my point is that Celebrity should refund the deposits as soon as possible if they know they are going to cancel a sailing because some are paying interest on their deposit. Others, like myself make payments on their bookings every month to minimize the impact of a large outlay of cash so we often have even more than our deposits at stake. I was just musing about what kind of money is currently "On Hold" in my earlier post.

My belief is that Celebrity has something up their sleeve with the Caribbean sailings from mid March on or they wouldn't have gone through the effort to pull them from their site and other travel agencies sites. If their plans are large enough that they feel it necessary to completely remove the listings from all of these sites they should also have included a statement for those of us that are currently booked on the vanished sailings in their planning.

In any event I don't expect or care whether or not I get compensation from Celebrity if they decide to cancel my cruise because my contingency booking is on Princess and therefore a compensation package from Celebrity will most likely go to waste.

i-m-ed -- I agree with you about refunding the deposits as soon as possible. Hopefully Celebrity will let you know what is going on sooner rather than later. I think Celebrity would know that it is not in their best interests to keep their customers in the dark. Maybe they simply don't have it worked out yet.

AArrgh! I'm not really happy reading this.
I was booked on a Norwegian May2, 2004 sailing from Hawaii to Vancouver. On Apr 2, 2004 I found out the cruise was being canceled. (I found out from a rumour on these boards not directly from NCL). When I contacted NCL we went through a similar canceled/ notcanceled scenario. When they finally agreed that it was canceled I had slightly less than 1 month to make other plans and I was left with air fare to Honolulu and back from Vancouver which made those tickets useless without the cruise.
I received information from NCL on what they would do to compensate for this inconvenience and made new plans based on that info. I acted quickly because of the short time before my vacation date, When I called NCL back to tell them of my alternate arrangement and ask them how/when I would receive the agreed compensation they informed me they had changed their mind and wouldn't be doing that anymore. Thanks to the late notice of cancelation and their lying to me about the compensation I figure this vacation will end up costing me about twice what it would should have cost. NCL's attitude appeared to be, "sorry we mis-informed you but that's just tough , not our problem."
Needless to say I was a very unhappy customer at that point. Due to NCL's terrible handling of this situation I swore I would never travel with them again and have now booked a fall cruise on Celebrity Century. Now I don't want to hear that Celebrity does just as poor a job as NCL in dealing with these situations!

These cruises are a year from now not a month from now. Celebrity has been good about giving compensation for cruises that have problems close to sailing and even when problems have arisen on board.

Comp for me would be a useless as I would not be able to sail X (there are no alternatives that are similar enough). However, I have to say while I have never had a problem where comp was called for it seems to be that X isn't "good" with giving due comp out. There are many people who have responded to posts saying that they were told 2 different stories about comp, that they would miss ports and be given a 1 hour open bar, etc. I understand that these sailings are 10 months away but that is not the point. The point is X posted these dates on the website and allowed people to make plans accordingly. In a perfect world there would be alternatives for everyone if the cruises are cancelled but this world isn't perfect and there are not alternatives for everyone.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="2005" value=2004>
<param name="4" value=4>
<param name="01" value=26>
<param name="18" value=18>
</applet>

I've sailed with Celebrity 14 times and have always found them to be fair. Nothing is perfect and I think there are many people who expect more than they deserve. My cruise for May was canceled and I really don't expect compensation. The cruiselines don't go out of their way to annoy people. Sometimes things happen. We live in a world where nothing is ever enough for some people.

You have a unique problem and I'm very sorry for your situation. Maybe a cruise is not possible at that time. Perhaps you need to plan a land vacation or just take a short weekend and postpone the cruise for a little later. I wish you the best.

We missed a port this past March -- they had an open bar two nights in a row for an hour. Everyone in our group thought that was very generous - since we didn't "expect" anything.

BB5953 -- so far your cruise has not been officially cancelled. Try to think positively rather than negatively until you know for sure. I know you are anxious because of the wedding but this is still 10 months away.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. I am trying very hard to think positive and hope for the best. I have checked Princess but my unique situation is that I need to leave out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami it needs to be after March 30, 2005 and we need to be back in Florida by 4/11 others in our party have other arrangements. So.... My only hope is that our cruise reappers and the first excuse I got (revenue audit) was correct. If it is going to be cancelled that I hope to find out ASAP so that I can offically star to cancel/rearrange everything. Again, thanks to everyone for the kind wishes and I hope with this info you can understand my frustration.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="4" value=4>
</applet>

from our TA:

"I just got off the phone with Celebrity in regards to your Summit booking. The cruise has been cancelled and there is a special department making calls to agents that have clients booked on this sail date. Once they call us they will tell us what they plan to offer you since this cruise will not happen. We can't move any money or make any changes until we receive a phone call where with your offer"

Thoughts?

I think I am going to be sick...

<param name="4" value=4>
</applet>

Oh thank god. I thought you meant the Summit 4/1/05...

<param name="4" value=4>
</applet>

I hate to keep y'all hanging in the air on the 1-28-05 cruise, but I just got off the phone with my TA (I'm on the March 21, 2005 Summit), and as of today, the 1-28 is STILL just redlined. She talked to the person in charge of the Revenue Dept, and they just don't want to lose that 1-28 cruise unless they absolutely have to. By the same token, they don't want to wait until the last minute and cancel it either. Just be patient and give them a few more days...it's hard I know...I'm in there with you!

As far as those March 21-April Summit bookings, Revenue is still saying it's JUST AN AUDIT! If you've checked on the other cruises for just 7 days going out in that same time frame, my cruise on the Summit on March 21, 2005 in a Celebrity Suite is $2000.00 LESS than the Millennium or Costellation 7 day cruises during the same time frame. I'm sure if you would all look at those cruises, and the same categories you're booked in, you'll see about the same thing. Revenue is pulling back ALL unsold cabins at this point in time for either repricing, changes in itinerary, or as a LAST and most extreme measure...cancellation (due to a charter).

The Summit is supposedly the highest revenue maker for Celebrity, and they DO NOT want to lose that money. I really feel like it's repricing. If it is, and you've been LOOKING to book, and you're just waiting for it to come back on the books, if the repricing happens, you're gonna be paying a whole lot more than those of us that are waiting with our deposits already in Celebrity's hands!

But, that being said, the whole reason I was talking to my TA about this is because like others booked for my sailing (March 21), I booked a BACK-UP cruise in case of cancellation. I went with Sun Princess (March 19) so I wouldn't be in the same position for a second cruise. Our alternate plans are going to cost us $41.00 more, but we have the AA Suite on the Sun, with all of the same amenities we can get on Celebrity, with the exception of NO Butler! We also receive FREE dry cleaning and laundry, and FREE internet access, so that more than make up for the extra $41.00, and we got a $200.00 room credit.

"We" now have a few months to keep Celebrity "ON HOLD" while we make up our minds which cruise WE want!

It sure feels GREAT to put the ball back in OUR court!!

Take Care, All!
Jaime

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;3;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until HOPEFULLY We're on the Summit

Sorry for the test, but have had problems posting for the last week or so. I have personally made 3 calls to Celebrity Customer Service over the last week and have gotten a different answer each time. I also emailed Celebrity Customer Service and their answer to me was that the Summit will sail as scheduled. That was the same day someone in Customer Service told me it was cancelled. I also emailed the office of Jack Williams, but have received no response. However, my brother has spoken to Victoria in his office twice over the last 3 days. She told him today that no final decision has been made regarding the 1/28/05 Summit, and she will get back to him when a final decision is made. The conflicting stories everyone is getting is what is making this so frustrating. We have nonrefundable air reservations already made and are looking into the Sun Princess, which sails on the same day, but don't want to make any final decision until we see what, if any compensation we get from Celebrity.

MTJLR -
We're all between a rock and a hard place. I've booked the Sun Princess for Jan. 18 but my problem is with travel insurance. I have to purchase within 21 days of deposit and that would leave me with 2 insurance policies. I'd like to hang in long enough for compensation from X if they do the cancelling rather than cancel on my own and get nothing. This is all very confusing and very unfair of X to keep us hanging like this.
Marsha

Angelpug, you mention you talked to someone in the Revenue Dept., and their response was that they don't want to lose that 1/28/05 cruise "unless they absolutely have to." HUH??? What does that mean? Why would they "have to"? I'm not sure I understand what that statement means.

[email="caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net"]caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net[/email]

I am the brother of mtjlr. I am convinced that Celebrity executives know the answer to the January 28th riddle. They are unwilling to formally cancel. I have talked with the President's office twice. The second time "Victoria" was clearly irritated that I called back. She said the 28th cruise is not "officially" canceled. I called customer service about 10 minutes later and they stated they were totally ignorant of any change in this ship's planned 28th sailing. They did say the cruise was taking no additional bookings. I asked if they thought this was strange? They said this could be because the ship was full. I asked does the fact that the January 17 cruise is cancelled make their supposition any less likely. They replied "we have not been informed of anything." I believe them.

Celebrity customer service is awful. They do a wonderful job once you board the ship,; but they are lousy before and after.

I have sailed with them 7 times, most recently March 14 Infinity return from SA. Boarding was horrendous; one port cancelled due to thruster problems; b2b cruisers lied to prior to sailing about port cancellation; disembarkation delayed by 45 minutes, and the transfer bus delay was at least another 45 minutes. They just do not get it.

I think a fair comment is "why sail with a cruise line with such a lack of integrity?' I think we sail with them because of the on-ship experience. I, for one, think it is time to reconsider.

Now if we could only get an answer to our fundamental question - sail or no-sail?

Jutrie - you might find my post "integrity" of interest - I believe it is on the 2nd or 3rd page. Many people including myself feel the frustration of X's dishonesty. I am going through the same run around with them abiut my 4/1/05 cruise. My family, TA and I were given 6 different answers within 1 week!!!

<param name="4" value=4>
</applet>

I am truly sorry for the frustrating experience everyone is dealing with. Hopefully in the end, it will all work out for you.

I wanted to note that we are booked on the Sun Princess Jan. 28 sailing and had strongly considered the Summit because we love the ship and the cruise (did it two winters ago). But the Sun was far less expensive for a very similar cruise and I couldn't justify the extra $$$ this time around. Now I'm glad we didn't switch. If you end up switching, consider the Sun. We'll have a great time.

By the way, on insurance, when I had recently cancelled one cruise and booked another, my TA was able to "move" the insurance for me so I didn't lose it and have to re-purchase another policy. It's probably worth checking out.

~Host Anne

I think that is what the concensous is, however I can not do that as they have a significant amount of my money and I don't know what is going on. Though I have to say it is somehwat comforting that it is not just me. That many many others are having the same exact problem. But thanks for your concern Ma Bell!

<param name="4" value=4>
</applet>

Archived