Epic: will they give a third key card?

pixtip

Cruising with three adult children next week and wondering if NCL will give us a third key card so they can access our room if we aren't there. We like them to use our facilities and balcony if they choose. Has anyone else asked NCL Epic for this?

Yep. Not a problem. Just ask for the keys you want at the main desk. On our last cruise our teen boys had an inside room across the hall from our balcony. We got them an extra key so they could use our room. We got a key to theirs so we could keep an eye on them.

Yep. Not a problem. Just ask for the keys you want at the main desk. On our last cruise our teen boys had an inside room across the hall from our balcony. We got them an extra key so they could use our room. We got a key to theirs so we could keep an eye on them.

How did you manage to get your boys in a room across the hall? We were told that the only way our 18 year old daughter and her friend can be in a cabin by themselves is if it was one with a connecting doorway to ours. We had to book our cabins with me in one with our daughter, and the wife in another with her friend (the cabins are side by side). We were then told that what we should do is just pair up in the cabins the way we wanted to, and have our daughter switch key cards with my wife so they could access the cabins. To say the least, I am not at all happy with that idea.

When we originally booked the trip, our TA told us that when we check in, they would change the cabin arrangements for us. But just a couple days ago, I was told by an NCL representative they could not do that.

After reading your post, I am quite confused.

How did you manage to get your boys in a room across the hall? We were told that the only way our 18 year old daughter and her friend can be in a cabin by themselves is if it was one with a connecting doorway to ours. We had to book our cabins with me in one with our daughter, and the wife in another with her friend (the cabins are side by side). We were then told that what we should do is just pair up in the cabins the way we wanted to, and have our daughter switch key cards with my wife so they could access the cabins. To say the least, I am not at all happy with that idea.

When we originally booked the trip, our TA told us that when we check in, they would change the cabin arrangements for us. But just a couple days ago, I was told by an NCL representative they could not do that.

There's a big difference between what you can do in advance and what you can do on the ship. The booking systems, either through a TA or NCL, force some very specific requirements regarding who is in what rooms (as you're seeing). We booked my 17 year old son with me in the inside room, and my 15 year old son with my wife in our mini-suite. Actually, not to complicate things, but my wife and son were actually booked a couple of doors down from where we ended up (we had 6 rooms for 13 of us)

Once we got on the ship, my wife and I, as well as my brother, all went to the main desk. We had no issue moving my brother and his family to the room my wife was booked in, my wife and I to the mini my brother was in, and both my boys to the inside room. They didn't blink. We also got the extra keys in the process. This was in late July. Maybe they have a new policy against this, but I suspect you were just getting the "party line" from someone.

If for some reason they don't allow you to do that on the ship, simply book the way they force you, then get a couple of extra keys once you get on the ship. Also, make sure you have any necessary paperwork for your daughter's friend. I think if she's under 21 you might need a form signed by a parent (there is a link to forms in my signature area)

There's a big difference between what you can do in advance and what you can do on the ship. The booking systems, either through a TA or NCL, force some very specific requirements regarding who is in what rooms (as you're seeing). We booked my 17 year old son with me in the inside room, and my 15 year old son with my wife in our mini-suite. Actually, not to complicate things, but my wife and son were actually booked a couple of doors down from where we ended up (we had 6 rooms for 13 of us)

Once we got on the ship, my wife and I, as well as my brother, all went to the main desk. We had no issue moving my brother and his family to the room my wife was booked in, my wife and I to the mini my brother was in, and both my boys to the inside room. They didn't blink. We also got the extra keys in the process. This was in late July. Maybe they have a new policy against this, but I suspect you were just getting the "party line" from someone.

If for some reason they don't allow you to do that on the ship, simply book the way they force you, then get a couple of extra keys once you get on the ship. Also, make sure you have any necessary paperwork for your daughter's friend. I think if she's under 21 you might need a form signed by a parent (there is a link to forms in my signature area)

Thanks for the info.

So to make sure I am understanding you, the process is done after boarding, instead of at check-in.

Also, I already have the parental release form filled out and signed.

Once again, thanks for the info.

We have also booked two rooms with an adult in each room and asked for additional keys for each room. No problem with getting additional keys. Our rooms were an inside and an oceanview across the hall.

The cabin steward had already set up the room for the adults and kids (bed together for adults, not for kids). I am guessing this is a frequent occurrance, on paper satisfying the adult in each room requirement but in actuality, adults in one room, kids in another.

Thanks for the info.

So to make sure I am understanding you, the process is done after boarding, instead of at check-in.

Also, I already have the parental release form filled out and signed.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Correct. This is all done ON the ship, not at check in

My 2 minor teens are in the cabin right next to us - not connecting. I booked directly with NCL. Not sure if that made a difference or not. They were in an inside across the hall from us, and they had to be booked with one of us in the room with them. I switched them to the balcony right next door to ours, and they were able to be booked by themselves. The cabins don't connect though.

My 2 minor teens are in the cabin right next to us - not connecting. I booked directly with NCL. Not sure if that made a difference or not. They were in an inside across the hall from us, and they had to be booked with one of us in the room with them. I switched them to the balcony right next door to ours, and they were able to be booked by themselves. The cabins don't connect though.

I was told by the NCL rep that they had to have either a connecting door, or a connecting balcony.

which is interesting since they don't allow the balconies to be opened for the most part. :confused:

Seems that sometimes policies collide

I think it's like anything else with the cruise lines, Mike ... all depends on who you happen to get on the phone at the time. I am prepared for them to switch us around at the pier. It won't matter because we're right next door to each other, but if they have to split my husband and me up on "paper" when we get there, that's fine.

I think it's like anything else with the cruise lines, Mike ... all depends on who you happen to get on the phone at the time. I am prepared for them to switch us around at the pier. It won't matter because we're right next door to each other, but if they have to split my husband and me up on "paper" when we get there, that's fine.

Yep, I agree. And quite frankly, since there are no limits on the number of keys, regardless of where you are "officially" placed you can still sleep where you want :)

Archived