Logistics - Culebra island

Xcitdcruiser

Hello,

I am fallen in love with the idea of Playa Flamenco & have many questions - i was hoping that some light can be shed on logistics.

We were thinking of staying in OSJ for 4 ngihts & Culebra for 2 nights before commencing our cruise. Would that order be ok? Or should I be worried about not being able to travel from Culebra to SJ on the day of embarkation?

We've decided to fly (Air Flamenco or Vieques Air Link) - how far in advance is it best to book or it is a matter of knowing the timetable & turning up?

All my research on forums indicate that a rtn flight is under $100 pp. But directly on the airline they start at $150 pp. Is there another way of booking?

The airlines only allow 15kg of luggage but we will also have our 'big' bags. Does the airport have lockers or would be it reasonable to ask the accom in OSJ to keep them safe (even for a small fee) ?

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, tips, please share!!

Since you're coming all the way from Australia, I'll see if I can help with the logistics.

Go to Culebra first, and then stay in Old San Just.

You could take the flight from the airport after your arrival into San Juan (assuming the schedules are compatible).

I don't know of luggage storage at the airport, but there's a hotel there that might store your bags if there's no storage at the airport.

Since rates change, what's reported on forums may not be timely. The fare was less than $100 two years ago, but everything has gone up in price, so that may be the current rate.

Make your reservation as early as possible, because the planes are small and it can be tough getting a seat.

You might also want to look into the taxi to Fajardo and then ferry to Culebra. It depends on your flight schedule as to which would be more convenient.

Thank you so much for your reply! It wil def be a long trip, so trying to figure out how it would all work!!

I do like the idea of Culebra first, I wouldn't want to miss the cruise! Although to fly we need to get ourselves to Isla Grande airport (15 min drive from the International airport) Would it be logical to drive via OSJ to drop off our bags in storage (hotel we are staying is ok to store our luggage) ? I'm unable to find a storage solution in near Isla Grande Airport, or would it simply make more sense to stay 1 ngiht in OSJ & then continue to Culebra & return to OSJ?

Suggestions welcome!

Hmmm, I was at the San Juan airport (SJU?) in Nov 2012, and those airlines had ticket booths at that airport. I've seen them, too, at Isla Grande, so not sure if the ticket booths at the SJU are new. Let me see if I can find the info I picked up at SJU so you can better make a decision.

Will try to post the info tomorrow, Dec 19, 2012.

I went to Culebra in 2011, but I left from Fajardo.

Hmmm, I just thought of another possible option. When is your cruise??? What time does your flight get to San Juan?

Archived