When HAL sailed to 6 Mexican ports

billroddy

WOW. You also mention that "a lot is directed at tourists" when referring to murders in Mexico. Do you think? You may not be aware that many Americans and Canadians live and routinely travel to Mexico with no fear, problems, or worries, In the Puerto Vallarta area (around the Bay of Bandaras) there are approximately 60,000 Americans/Canadians that either live or spend many months a year in that near paradise. The crimes against those expats are far fewer then most parts of the USA. In Cabo there are also lots of expats. So please do not paint Mexico with such a broad brush.

In fact, in Hawaii there were 17 murders in the same time period and Hawaii has only about 1/10 the population of Mexico. So I guess we can say that Hawaii is much more dangerous then MexicoHank

All very good points. A friend works in Matamoros and travels there every day. He says no problem, just avoid the bad areas. Fine, if you know where they are! I know many restrant owners have moved their businesses to the U. S., and have also moved their families.

When local people can't take the bus south for fear of being robbed or kidnapped, I'm staying here. Sad to say that as I used to travel in Mexico a lot even after I no longer had a business reason to do so.

You go to Mexico, I'll take Hawaii.

All very good points. A friend works in Matamoros and travels there every day. He says no problem, just avoid the bad areas. Fine, if you know where they are! I know many restrant owners have moved their businesses to the U. S., and have also moved their families.

When local people can't take the bus south for fear of being robbed or kidnapped, I'm staying here. Sad to say that as I used to travel in Mexico a lot even after I no longer had a business reason to do so.

You go to Mexico, I'll take Hawaii.

Agree that we would not be going to many border areas of Mexico (including near South Padre Island). However, my post spoke to the Pacific ports that are located far from the border. As to Hawaii, we also love Hawaii. However, in Puerto Vallarta DW and I can go out for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, have huge Margaritas, fresh grilled snapper with sides, and get a bill that is about $30 (total). In Hawaii the drinks alone would cost us that much. Where we would probably choose Hawaii for a 1 or 2 week vacation...when it comes to being snow birds and spending 2 months in good weather we consider Mexico are home away from home.

My biggest issue with the negative publicity about Mexico is that the entire country is painted with a very broad brush. Just like in the USA, there are good parts of Mexico and bad parts. As I mentioned in my post, I can walk around Puerto Vallarta anytime day or night with no fear. What do you think would happen if I tried to walk around parts of Detroit or South Central LA day or night?

Hank

You raise a good point. It is scarier driving to the ports in LA than actually cruising to the stops on the Mexican Riviera. We miss this route a lot too - we loved Mazatlan and wanted to go back. But agree, we no longer go across the border via San Diego either - even though those wonderful lobster dinners in Puerto Nuevo are still calling us for a day trip turnaround. But what can I say - much of the dangerous Mexican illegal drug trade gets consumed right here across their border. Our SoCal coasts are now getting over-run with panga boats loaded with tons of the stuff as one more way around the border patrol land checks.

Archived