First time to Ocho Rios!

Gus12

My new wife and I will be Ocho Rio in a few weeks for our honeymoon as part of our Carnival Freedom cruise. We don't necessarily want to climb the falls (seeing them would be fine). We didn't really want to spend the cash on any of the carnival excursions but we don't want to just sit on the ship.

What are some quick, relaxing things we can do besides just sitting on a beach? She's very concerned about the ship leaving us but we will have several hours to find things to do. We don't really party or go to bars and would like to be outside, but the amount of info out there is just overwhelming so it's hard to narrow things down. Any help would be appreciated!

We booked a tour in Ocho Rios, Jamaica with Courtney Taylor Tours. I had seen good reviews on Trip Adviser and they were right. Our driver was Marvelous Marvin and he was simply MARVELOUS! If you are planning to go to Dunns River Falls, reconsider! We went to the Irie Blue Hole and felt like we had stumbled upon an untouched gem! It is MAGNIFICENT! No crowds like Dunns River and as much, if not more spectacular! You can see pictures of it on google and videos on youtube. You will be glad you found it. We also toured the countryside from the poorest areas to their "Beverly Hills". Startling the contrast. We asked Marvin to take us were the locals shopped, not the tourist areas and he did. He took us to what he called a free market. It was something to see. He stayed right with us and we never felt unsafe or fearful. They sold everything there. We sampled local fresh fruit, mango's, soursop, and jackfruit. The soursop was an unusual texture but delicious tasting. We ate lunch at Scotchie's which was delicious. Our day with Marvin and Courtney Taylor Tours was the highlight of all three of our port experiences. He told us so much about the country and his life that we left feeling like we had just gained a friend. We even exchanged addresses and are planning to send him some things from the US that he can't get or are just too expensive for him there. You will have a great private tour with this company in a good, air conditioned mini van. We will definitely use them again!

I hope this helps you make your plans.

I forgot to mention, all that was only $35 per person and he also stopped at another smaller waterfall that was free. The guides want a tip, but that's expected -- just a couple of dollars. At the Blue Hole we tipped $10 because he was so helpful. The price of lunch at Scotchie's was not included but cost about $8/person. The "festivals" were delicious.

Here are a few pictures of the Blue Hole.

http://s1287.beta.photobucket.com/upload#

I have more of the other fall at the Blue Hole which is further up the trail and the fall is much bigger, but I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet . . . Christmas and all . . . I haven't had time.:rolleyes: There are rope swings to use and my family said this was the highlight of Jamaica.

When we were in Jamaica in April we booked the a Peat Taylor tour. We did climb the falls then went tubing. Peat was great and met us at the dock. Both activities were great but the river rafting was the highlight. Peat takes good care of his customers and will have you back to the boat on time. He has several tour options to choose from. Because i wanted "Jerk Chicken" he made a special stop at the Jerk Center so we could eat lunch. It was our best trip to Jamaica.

TidePride

Archived