MDR: Ordering more than one appetizer/main?

Hubs is a picky eater. about every night he has the everyday menu and would ask for steak and chicken. (wanting just one serving of side) a couple waiters have let him know what a pain in the ass he is

Imagine if 1,000 people in the MDR all decided that they wanted to order "non standard" meals.

What is so difficult with ordering the shrimp cocktail and crab appetizer, the pasta dinner and the duck dinner or whatever?

"I would like the shrimp cocktail with mustard instead of the regular sauce, and the crab, no lemon, I would rather have a kiwi, and with the pasta, could I have the sauce on the side, and the duck, I would like to substiture the garlic bread instead of the potatoes".

General very important rule of thumb, never aggravate anyone that is bringing you your food.

I've noticed also that if you vaccilate on your choice they'll just bring both.

After reading this thread I've realized that maybe they do this to reduce the risk of having to go back to get something else. They're probably concerned that if you don't like your first choice you'll ask them to go back to kitchen to retreive second choice, which as has been pointed out is a bit of trouble. It seems easier just to bring both.

I saw a show recently about the Oasis, and they throw away huge amounts of food, so don't feel bad about getting more. At least not for that reason.

My husband & I have been on a 7 day on Serenade and a 10 day on Jewel both time early seating. Never a had a problem with ordering extra apps, mains or deserts on either cruise.

We too experienced our waiter bringing things we didn't order because he thought me might like them.

Ok, looking for input and thoughts on this.

On all our previous cruises our experiences in the MDR were stellar. On the few occasions that we dared waver between two items on the menu, often both would show up. Same for the desert menu. Often our waiter would outright ASK if we wanted seconds.

On the proactive side, If I felt a portion was too small, sometimes I'd ask for a second. I often do this with my Caesar salad appetizer, as honestly, the standard portion is borderline laughable for anyone who really enjoys salad.

On our last Explorer cruise we were all anxious to try the new menu. Admittedly, on more than a few occasions, a few people at our large table ordered extra apps, or mains.

The difference this time was that our waiter gave us heat over it. About midway through the cruise he actually mentioned that he was having to clear all our extra requests through the headwaiter or dining room supervisor since he had to account for all his requests and needed to get a stamp or something.

One memorable night where this happened was when the Asparagus and Brie Quiche main was on the menu - day 7 I think it was. Several people at our table ordered it and LOVED it. Many ordered seconds, to the chagrin of our waiter - he actually suggested (carefully worded, but the intent was clear) that it was quite problematic to fulfil our requests and that he had to go to the other deck to the My Time dining area in order to scoop some of theirs. The kicker? After dinner we went to the Windjammer out of curiosity...and yeah, there was TRAYS upon TRAYS of the exact same quiche.

So, was this an isolated situation, or were we somehow wrong here? I'm only basing my experience from past cruises where it seemed that the staff (and ALL the staff, not just the waiters) were happy to feed you until you were satisfied, not limit you to one of anything if you particularly enjoyed something, or wanted to sample something else.

i never had this problem i ordered what i wanted & never had a problem my DH told our waiter the 1st nt he liked cumcumbers & tomotoes so every nt when we sat down tha t is the 1st thing our waiter brought 2 our table beore the menus & 2 glasses of water our staff were great

Archived