? For any past holiday cruisers---New years eve and jan 1 on viking danube cruise

remydiva

Just curious about what celebration we might expect for our new years eve as we cruise the danube on the njord...any past experiences would be helpful.

We are travelling as a group so will be able to make our own fun but i wondered what the ship and crew might be doing to get the party started.

I plan on decorating my cabin door to look festive and tiaras of course will be mandatory dress code in our party!

Edited by remydiva

• 5 months later...
We are going on the same cruise 2013. How was New years eve on the ship? How did passengers dress? Was there a party? I would appreciate any comments.

New Years was pretty good...in fact,it was the first time I've stayed up that late in years!

I had brought decorations from the dollar store at home and decorated the cabin doors of our group of four couples. Many many people commented as they walked by what a great idea..One young couple improvised by using their party hats and streamers and a hand written sign so I would suggest bringing something fun from home to start the holiday off right. :p

The dining room was closed for most the afternoon as they decorated. Lots of streamers, twinkling lights, and each chair had a helium balloon tied to the back...along with a piece of paper. You were supposed to write your new years wish on the paper then at midnite, go up to the top deck and release the balloon with your wish.

The ship was still decorated for xmas so trees and lights and baubles galore so overall the ship looked festive.

We dressed but not tux and tails dress. River cruises by nature are more casual than ocean cruises but the men wore shirts and ties and some women in fancy jackets with skirts or dresses and heels (I had sprained my ankle the day before in Passau so had on my winter boots which came in handy later..but I digress...)

Dinner was good but I can't recall what we had (ok, so I do recall having two glasses of wine...maybe that is why!). We had pointy hats and blowers on our table to bring out the child in all of us.

After dinner, we (we were a group of 4 couples) posed together on the stairs inside for a group photo with our own cameras holding our balloons. We went to the lounge where they had a piano player. Some people were dancing. The only entertainment per se was a lady singer who did opera but in a funny way using audience members to 'sing' with her. A little lame.

We were in Linz and double docked with the Viking Idun so the entertainers ran back and forth between the two ships. Viking got a 2/1 deal on that. So when they were 'next door', they had just canned music playing. There were singalongs of regional songs like 'My Favourite Things' and 'Edelweiss' and it makes more sense once you have spent a few days in Austria.

The highlight of the 'entertainment' was when about 2 dozen of the Idun passengers started a conga line and came dancing through our lounge.

Some of our group, including me, went up early to release our balloons and warning, the metal steps are SLIPPERY as it was way below freezing and we didn't have coats on (but remember? I of course did have on my winter boots!) so I managed ok. Helium balloons need a little coaxing to fly away in below zero temps but they did and we toasted the event with champagne and a kiss or two.

Countdown to midnight, more champagne then they opened up a buffet for midnight snack which I think was borscht and some hot sandwiches.

If you are expecting New Years Eve Dick Clark style with the ball dropping at midnight, you will be disappointed. However, we had fun mostly because WE made it fun...we are four couples ranging in age from 50-65 and we met 4 yrs ago on a river cruise and are from all over. To spend New Years on the Danube with good friends was magical and memorable. :)

Edited by remydiva

• 6 months later...

This is fun to find, and Augustdays, what cruise/ship are you on this year?

We'll be on the Njord going from Budapest toward Nuremburg, and NYE will be the day we tour the Melk Abbey, and the night before the morning tour of Passau (I wonder how early THAT tour will be??? :eek:)

-Duhg