Binoculars with Digital Camera Question

punkincc

We plan to buy a second pair of binoculars for our cruise in May and I just discovered that it is possible to buy binoculars with built in digital camera. Does anyone have any experience with these? Wondering about the picture quality. The prices seem reasonable, on sale now for well under $200. Barska 8x42 with 8 megapixel camera is about 60% off.

IMHO you don't always get what you pay for, but you always have to pay for good quality. Think about what a good superzoom P&S camera costs and than ask yourself where a company can cut corners to offer a binoculars with a camera and zoom and other features for so little money.

I think a really minimum binocular runs 60-100 bucks, and any decent 8 Meg camera runs 300 bucks.

We plan to buy a second pair of binoculars for our cruise in May and I just discovered that it is possible to buy binoculars with built in digital camera. Does anyone have any experience with these? Wondering about the picture quality. The prices seem reasonable, on sale now for well under $200. Barska 8x42 with 8 megapixel camera is about 60% off.

Barska seems to make an ok binocular, but VERY poor reviews for the camera. Right now you can get a Canon Powershot SX260 p&s camera for $199 - 12.1 MP, 20x zoom, image stabliazation, and 1080p video as well.

L.J.

Thanks for your responses. I did a little research and found the customer reviews were pretty bad. I thought the camera would capture the magnified image you saw through the binocular, but this is apparently not the case. We really did not need another camera in any case, just a second binocular.

I have ordered a ZenRay Vista 8x42 for a good sale price.

Archived