Anyone get a new passport lately? How long did it take?

71Corvette

I got mine in just under 3 weeks, non expedited. Applied at my local Post Office in California on 2/14/2014, and just learned I will receive it tomorrow, 3/6/2014. The website says you can get email updates, but it is not working. But you can call their toll free number and they will give you a status over the phone: 1-877-487-2778, and even a USPS tracking number once it's mailed. I'm so relieved because my wife got excited and booked our trip just four weeks from my application date, and the website says to allow 4 to 6 weeks. Apply early, but don't panic if you have less then that. ;)

Edited by CarlSagan

• 1 month later...

Our son is 15. We took him to get his passport on 14 March and his new one was in the mailbox today 7 April. We just did regular processing.

One thing to note. I called to make an appointment to get our son's passport renewed since he is a minor. I called three post offices that process passports and the best appointment I could get was two weeks out from the day I called. If you live in an area like northern VA, you may want to take the amount of time it might take to get an appointment for a minor child's passport into account when considering how long it will take to get the passport.

Just my experience.

How much do you have to pay to send ia renewal passport by mail? I'm reading the website and I'm confused. One part says you do not have to pay 25$ if by mail then it takes me to another site with All different fees listed...

Edited by MCAT48

We had a horrible time getting an appointment....one woman actually laughed at me when I asked if they had a Saturday available. We got lucky and I found a post office near us who did not require an appointment. We walked in and had to wait about 15 minutes, and got our passports in the mail exactly 2 weeks later. We did not pay to expedite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How much do you have to pay to send ia renewal passport by mail? I'm reading the website and I'm confused. One part says you do not have to pay 25$ if by mail then it takes me to another site with All different fees listed...

It was $184.85 for my renewal including the expedited fee. I don't know what the breakdown was. I also sent it via registered mail for about $35 dollars.

Just got mine back ... $110 for 'normal' processing. This is for the BOOK only .. add $30 if you want the book AND the card. I sent a check for $110 & got it back 17 days from the day I mailed it in priority mail (for tracking purposes) It was returned Priority Mail, which they said is now what they use for 'normal' - no extra charge ... tracking again.

The $25 you are referring to is a fee that applies to FIRST TIME applicants OR if you do not have your old passport to turn in. EXECUTION: in other words a 'start from scratch' application costs an extra $25.