Excursion in Martinique

mocha's mom

We will be in Martinique during our Carnival Legend cruise in January 2005. I've heard that this port can be somewhat unfriendly to Americans. We've decided to fo a party-boat type of excursion because of this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who to go with? Typically we book excursions with companies other than the cruiseline - natives to the area - and have had great luck. The tours/excursions are smaller and more personalized.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

We usually do independent excursions, too, but on our Legend cruise in January, we booked a ship excursion at this port only, the "Fun, Sun, and Sailing" tour. A catamaran across the port to a black sand beach ... snorkeling or hanging out on the beach, then an optional tour of a bat cave, then back across the port. They limit participation. Only about 30 people on each catamaran. Very nice with rum ... I highly recommend this excursion.

http://community.webshots.com/user/judyjbest

Carnival Sensation 01/2000

RCI Majesty of the Seas 06/2001

Carnival Paradise 09/2002

Carnival Paradise 02/2003

Carnival Paradise 09/2003

Carnival Legend 01/2004

• 2 weeks later...

We caught an independent taxi island tour in Barbados, then they dropped us off at The Boatyard, where we spent the afternoon lounging on the beach until the sunset, drinks and fried flying fish (delicious!). Then at several taxi drivers suggestions, we wondered just a short way down the beach to a beach restaurant named "Lobster Alive" where we had a wonderful romantic meal with great live lobsters. They had their own taxi driver at the restaurant that took us back to our ship after lingering over our meal. Barbados was a wonderful day!

Carnival Legend 01/2004

• 2 months later...
We usually do independent excursions, too, but on our Legend cruise in January, we booked a ship excursion at this port only, the "Fun, Sun, and Sailing" tour. A catamaran across the port to a black sand beach ... snorkeling or hanging out on the beach, then an optional tour of a bat cave, then back across the port. They limit participation. Only about 30 people on each catamaran. Very nice with rum ... I highly recommend this excursion.

Carnival Legend 01/2004

Hi:

My husband just surprised me with my birthday gift of a cruise on the Legend in January 2005. My husband is the cruise critic guru and I'm new to the cruise critic message boards so I hope this reaches you. We too have heard that the people aren't very receptive to non French speaking people. Steve my dh has been e-mailing back and forth with a bunch of people who have raved about the boat yard and he's looked into the lobster alive restaurant as I'm crazy about lobster. Have you learned anything more about "good" tours we might be able to take?

Cindy

Judy how far is Lobster's Alive from the boatyard?

(I am not sure how we got a Barbados restaurant on the Martinique board but oh well!!!)

I remember reading a review mentioning this restaurant and am dying to try it.

When we arrived at the Boatyard, we settled in pretty much directly in front of the entrance down on the beach. From there, the restaurant was a couple of small buildings to our left ... an easy walk from the entrance of the Boatyard. We changed back into our shorts (very casual clothes) at the Boatyard's facilities, then strolled down there easily. You can get to it from the street in front of the Boatyard or from the beach.

• 3 months later...

Archived