Transportation from Houston Hobby to Galveston Port

beezercatz

I sailed last year during Mardi Gras and had no problem getting to the port and being on board ship in time for lunch.

I would however add extra time for road construction on I-45. I live near 45 and Beltway 8, and the section between here and Webster has some major construction going on to widen the freeway. A lot of weekends traffic headed south will slow to a crawl as early as 8:00 am as everyone tries to get to Galveston for the day.

We are taking Super Shuttle, there are 8 of us. We plan to use a taxi for dinner & a stop at the Wal Mart.

Your best bet for Walmart is upon arrival or first thing Sunday morning.

The night parade ends at Walmart so it will be packed.

Where you stay is dependent on where to go to eat. Traffic will be congested as some roads are closed, then there will be the crowds leaving the parade areas.

Also, with 8, it may be a good idea to make reservations in advance.

I sailed last year during Mardi Gras and had no problem getting to the port and being on board ship in time for lunch.

I would however add extra time for road construction on I-45. I live near 45 and Beltway 8, and the section between here and Webster has some major construction going on to widen the freeway. A lot of weekends traffic headed south will slow to a crawl as early as 8:00 am as everyone tries to get to Galveston for the day.

Because no one can drive unless in a straight line:confused:

The minute the road curves, the brake lights come on.

Once past the curves, the road opens up.

Your best bet for Walmart is upon arrival or first thing Sunday morning.

The night parade ends at Walmart so it will be packed.

Where you stay is dependent on where to go to eat. Traffic will be congested as some roads are closed, then there will be the crowds leaving the parade areas.

Also, with 8, it may be a good idea to make reservations in advance.

We are staying at Inn at the Water Park :o (had very mixed reviews but a good deal)....hopefully it won't be too bad.

Approximately what time does the parade end?

Some of us would love to have seafood & fish but others don't like it, and we all will eat steak, chicken, bbq, mexican, etc.........chains and privately owned are both ok with us.

You won't be directly impacted by traffic once at the Inn.

The parade will be over by 9:00pm (Walmart Parking lot). Starts at 6pm.

Most seafood restaurants also serve meat and chicken.

Check out Galveston.com - restaurants. Most have menus attached.

Then if you have any question, I will be glad to answer.

You won't be directly impacted by traffic once at the Inn.

The parade will be over by 9:00pm (Walmart Parking lot). Starts at 6pm.

Most seafood restaurants also serve meat and chicken.

Check out Galveston.com - restaurants. Most have menus attached.

Then if you have any question, I will be glad to answer.

I have been on Galveston.com but never looked at restaurants so I will definitely do that. My DIL is interested in the food vendors that will be in the vendors area as she likes doing that at different events. It's her birthday that day so I think she will have final say as to where we eat :)

The vendor area will be set up on the Strand. Not sure if they charge for access the 1st weekend.

There are also some great restaurants downtown.

Olympia at Pier 21, Nonno Tony's and Willie G's (chain) is at Pier 21 and Harborside, Fisherman's Wharf (chain) at Pier 23.

Rudy & Paco's ( 5 star), Saltwater Grill, Sky Bar and Gumbo Bar are on Post Office & 21st St.

Joe's Crab Shack is at Pier 19 and Harborside (chain)

Galveston Cruiser is a good resource! We took a cruise the same week in 2011. We arrived the day of the parade w/o a hitch. Got to dinner that evening and back to the hotel. You will have a great time and find something for everyone to enjoy eating! Enjoy your cruise!:D

Archived